Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
DIY - Air Cleaner

• Step by Step Instructions
• Parts Needs
• Visual Guide

Read full discussion below
Print Wikipost

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
DamanC7
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv
Oh...would ya look at that!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF8GhC-T_Mo
I saw that guy (the annoying one) at a bar 2 weeks ago!! Not as annoying in real life - thank god.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

he's a comedian from philly. just a regular dude who's funny as **** and loves to fish. if you know bass fishing, mike iaconelli is also from the area and the two of them hooked up for some fun. this is funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeUYbc0jSYk
check out his other vids if you want to laugh until you wet yourself.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 AM
harvema
Cruiser

Talking about brackets and stuff u used the dk bracket and there was about a 3mm gap between the bracket and the cyclinders (where the breather bolts go in) is it OK to torque this down so they sit flush or should I use washers to space it out?

Old 04-16-2012, 11:26 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,439 Posts

Originally Posted by harvema
Talking about brackets and stuff u used the dk bracket and there was about a 3mm gap between the bracket and the cyclinders (where the breather bolts go in) is it OK to torque this down so they sit flush or should I use washers to space it out?
Both are ok. Torque it down, or use a washer and torque it down. Torque specs from Harley are 40-60 INCH pounds.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 PM
harvema
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Both are ok. Torque it down, or use a washer and torque it down. Torque specs from Harley are 40-60 INCH pounds.
awesome, other than that gap, everything was awesome with that kit, cheers.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 PM
cptbhern
1st Gear

Originally Posted by fattboy1967
thanks for the info mike...waitin on some kick *** breather bolts from benchmark...dyed the filter green to match my sons stuff..

How did you dye the filter element?

I am having my tins repainted and thought I would try this mod while the tank is off.

I like the look of the dyed filter,and will probably go with a blue color,but am unsure how to dye it.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:26 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

man i'm pissed. i really hoped that the breather bolts from dk were gonna solve my blow by issue and they haven't. it's a little more than mist now. i don't think i got this much with the hose and "baby filter" element. .....bummed.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:20 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

ride home yesterday same thing, fvcken oil all over the side of my bike. now i thought i was running the oil pretty low but when i got home this is what i found. first of all, the manual says to check the oil on the stand, when i do that i see it barely register on the stick but due to the steeper lean of the bike on the stand because of the tires i'm running i can see why. when i stand the bike up and check the oil, it registers half way between the fill and full lines on the stick. i'm thinking i might need to take the ole turkey baster and suck sum oil out and run it a lil lower but how is everyone checking their oil level? stand or standing up?

Old 04-21-2012, 11:10 AM
simmy711
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmxatv
ride home yesterday same thing, fvcken oil all over the side of my bike. now i thought i was running the oil pretty low but when i got home this is what i found. first of all, the manual says to check the oil on the stand, when i do that i see it barely register on the stick but due to the steeper lean of the bike on the stand because of the tires i'm running i can see why. when i stand the bike up and check the oil, it registers half way between the fill and full lines on the stick. i'm thinking i might need to take the ole turkey baster and suck sum oil out and run it a lil lower but how is everyone checking their oil level? stand or standing up?

I always check the oil level hot and straight-up, not on the side stand. Our bikes don't have swivel dip sticks and the manual was a cut and paste job from a softtail that had a swivel dip stick. You can check the oil level on the side stand with a dip stick that leans with the bike. So here is what I've got.

HOT:

On side stand the oil is hardly touching the bottom of the dip stick.

Straight-up, the oil is halfway up the dipstick perfectly where it should be and this is the only level that matters.

I have never once had any blow-by issues or oil leaking out my breather or the new air filter after a couple hundred miles. Been filling it like this every oil change for 10,000+ miles.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:56 PM
nc883
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cptbhern
How did you dye the filter element?

I am having my tins repainted and thought I would try this mod while the tank is off.

I like the look of the dyed filter,and will probably go with a blue color,but am unsure how to dye it.
I'm curious too

Quick Reply: Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)