Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
DIY - Air Cleaner

• Step by Step Instructions
• Parts Needs
• Visual Guide

Read full discussion below
Print Wikipost

Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 12:34 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rusty8993
if you're doing a bike with cv carb. will u need to rejet? heavily considering this and does it add any hp?
You'll need to rejet if you do this and have opened your pipes (new pipes, slip-ons, removed stock baffles...) I don't know about adding HP. It's a very free flowing filter. I'd guess it is comparable with anything else out there and definitely better than stock.

Originally Posted by scorchedearthpolicy
"But for you guys that wear designer jeans, a 4" K&N fits perfectly. Part # E-3120." ......That is funny as ****! lol
Great write up! Will that work on a 97 Softail????
Thanks. Yes it will. You'll need to get the appropriate carb support bracket.

Originally Posted by Skunky82
Looks clean and much cheaper alternative to the Joker Machine intakes.
As far as performance, would this setup perform as well as the SE Intake or since the filter is smaller would it restrict airflow if you've already got the SE Intake?
I've removed a Screamin Eagle intake to install this on several bikes with no complaints. I have no supporting numbers though. Monitor your plugs. They'll tell you if you're getting more, less or the same amount of air.

Originally Posted by Sabbath
Hi all! Great post MREED! Anyone know if a 2003 sportster air cleaner bracket will fit on a 2010 Iron?

Thanks
Norm
Thanks. Yes it will.

Originally Posted by DieselDummy
Looks killer!!!
Thanks!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 AM
tuttsxl883
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

?.... When I installed the the 4inch air cleaner I also re jetted my carb.45/165. But I did not drill the vac.port out to 1/8''... nor do I shim the needle. should I go back in and do this???/ The bike runs great.. What do you all think>>> O ya. left the baffles in... Thinking about cutting then in half ?????

Last edited by tuttsxl883; 03-21-2011 at 11:58 AM. Reason: prof reading
Old 03-21-2011, 02:29 PM
goinboardn
Intermediate

I am back with yet another question. Still trying to figure out my crank case venting.
Question: I noticed the facorty vent bolt has just a very small hole in it and I am wondering if I replace that bolt with something with a much larger hole in it if that is an issue? I was looking at some plumbing fittings the other day and if the threads are the same can I use those in place?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have a link to a cheap carb mount Thingy for this?

Old 03-21-2011, 04:44 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by goinboardn
I am back with yet another question. Still trying to figure out my crank case venting.
Question: I noticed the facorty vent bolt has just a very small hole in it and I am wondering if I replace that bolt with something with a much larger hole in it if that is an issue? I was looking at some plumbing fittings the other day and if the threads are the same can I use those in place?
It doesn't really matter as long as it's filtered somewhere. Your vent holes are 1/2-13. Plumbing fittings the same diameter are 1/2-20. I've tried what you're thinking and ended up just drilling a reglar bolt then tapping that bolt to an NPT fitting size.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:46 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tuttsxl883
?.... When I installed the the 4inch air cleaner I also re jetted my carb.45/165. But I did not drill the vac.port out to 1/8''... nor do I shim the needle. should I go back in and do this???/ The bike runs great.. What do you all think>>> O ya. left the baffles in... Thinking about cutting then in half ?????
I think you're not fully understanding the need for jetting.

Monitor your plugs. They will tell you what you'll need to adjust in regards to fuel/air.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:23 AM
tuttsxl883
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sikk50
Does anyone have a link to a cheap carb mount Thingy for this?

I got mine from e-bay...http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHROM...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by tuttsxl883; 03-22-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: added link
Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Arrampico
Intermediate

Mreed and all - Thank you for the great information in this forum. It's awesome. I just got my '10 Nighster last week and got my filter on order. Now for venting the crankcase -

Is there any benefit or negatives of venting back into the engine? Or is it just a personal preference? Venting back into the engine looks way sweeter because there are less cords/tubes hanging around - but seeing many bikes with venting to the outside I am wondering which way is best or if there are any pos/negs?

Thanks again - noob

Old 03-22-2011, 01:46 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Arrampico
Mreed and all - Thank you for the great information in this forum. It's awesome. I just got my '10 Nighster last week and got my filter on order. Now for venting the crankcase -

Is there any benefit or negatives of venting back into the engine? Or is it just a personal preference? Venting back into the engine looks way sweeter because there are less cords/tubes hanging around - but seeing many bikes with venting to the outside I am wondering which way is best or if there are any pos/negs?

Thanks again - noob
It's done like that from the factory for emissions reasons. No benefit one way or another. I think it looks good with hidden vents but that's just not in some ppl's budgets these days.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Sikk50
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tuttsxl883
Thanks bro!

Quick Reply: Small, cheap & easy do it yourself air cleaner (lots of pics)