Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

48 pegs

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Barry Powers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48 pegs

So I know that there is a problem with putting aftermarket pegs on the 48, but what exactly is the problem? Is it the angle of the female connector or is each size a different size? Just wondering if pegs that are rotatable would be the cure or am I going to have to find another fix. I know member 4t8 makes a good product but I like the motocross style pegs like RSD and I think I could fabricate something rotatable out of it.

Old 01-30-2011, 05:31 PM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put some metal flake Hippy Killer pegs on my 48. You have to grind down the part of the peg mount(chrome part) that sticks out farther than the other side. You can buy an earlier model peg mount that will work with aftermarket pegs, but they are expensive. I just ground mine down and the pegs go on perfect.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:45 PM
Barry Powers
Cruiser

Any chance you have a picture of it Im not quite picturing the part that you ground off, Is it part of the peg you grind or the mount on the bike? Thanks in advance

Old 01-30-2011, 09:32 PM
cpracing519
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my bike is at a friends house in his garage and I wont be over there until next weekend.Its the very outside part that your peg goes into. Basicly it is the chrome part were the pivot bolt/mounting pin is(well just past that). the very outside spot is off set or not even with each other. Some reason Harley made it so you have to buy there pegs only. My new pegs would'nt bolt up due to the 1 spot that stuck out too far. Its the very outside part of the mount that is rounded off on the end. Had to grind about a 1/2 inch to match the shorter spot.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:32 AM
Barry Powers
Cruiser

I went out and took off the pegs to see what exactly you were talking about and I think I see what you're talking about but won't really know until I get the new pegs to try and compare. When you did the grinding did you chip the chrome at all, if not how did you do it?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,440 Posts

We make quite a few pegs that will fit your 48 just fine. 2 minute install.

Check em out Here.

Got a guy entering his 48 in a show this March in the UK that has the BulletProof pegs.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:54 AM
Barry Powers
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DK Custom
We make quite a few pegs that will fit your 48 just fine. 2 minute install.

Check em out Here.

Got a guy entering his 48 in a show this March in the UK that has the BulletProof pegs.
What makes yours fit right up the longer clevis?
Do you make custom pegs by request?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:09 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry Powers
What makes yours fit right up the longer clevis?
Do you make custom pegs by request?
There is a grade 8 set screw that adjusts the lateral (angle from the ground) angle to what suits you best! With a longer clevis the set screw can be adjusted out to make up the difference.

Yes, we also make one-off pegs. Can PM me or use the Contact Us on the site.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:35 AM
LouEyez
Cruiser

Or you can change the mount on your bike now with the ones from any of the other sporties and you can then use any peg you want...the nice thing is they also come in black if you want.

L

Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 AM
Bigpoppa_Junior
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry Powers
So I know that there is a problem with putting aftermarket pegs on the 48, but what exactly is the problem? Is it the angle of the female connector or is each size a different size? Just wondering if pegs that are rotatable would be the cure or am I going to have to find another fix. I know member 4t8 makes a good product but I like the motocross style pegs like RSD and I think I could fabricate something rotatable out of it.

Only alternative to grinding and making custom pegs is buying the nightsters peg kit which will fit the 48 and that will change your peg setup so you can use just about any sporty peg.

Quick Reply: 48 pegs