Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to pick up my first bike tonight !

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 08:15 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy Mullins
Thanks everyone, the bike is wonderful. I've been practicing every chance I get on the back roads around my house. I've been taking her to work too, I work about 11 miles from my house so its good practice with some traffic without too much distance. I'm working on getting the bike cleaned up really nice now, the previous owner let it get some water spots on some of the chrome and some bad brake dust ( i guess) around the wheels.

For my first bike I couldn't have asked for a more perfect bike. I'm still riding her very slowly because I want to make sure I can handle it, but I'm slowly getting more confidence. I think the fastest I've had her is up to about 55mph. Very slow on turns for now. I've always been a very cautious person and riding the bike is no different. I'm loving the gas mileage too ! lol. Not sure how many mpg I'm getting yet, I'm still calculating on that, but so far its great.

The biggest problems I'm having right now is that I think I'm still nervous on the bike and often find myself squeezing the crap out of the hand-grips. I'm also worried that if I ever have to stop on a hill I'll roll backwards or that if I have to quick stop I'll lock up the brakes and get hurt. Any advice on these things?

LoL! It's like you took my past threads I started and rolled it all into one post. I was the exact same way and am now starting to come out of my shell. Just keep on rolling and build your confidence up. Push yourself "GENTLY" to ensure you grow in your weak areas, but never do anything you aren't comfortable doing. It will all come in time.

For the hill, just treat it like you would in a manual car. Press on the foot brake enough to slow or stop your roll back, let the clutch out while reving until you feel the friction zone, then release the foot brake and take off. The braking issue was the same for me. Just keep your following distance as far back as possible for now, after a while you will know the limitations to your brakes.
Also, ensure you practice your braking drills in parking lots to build the confidence quicker.

My best suggestion is to ride every chance you get, but never ride over your confidence level!

Old 01-31-2011, 09:47 PM
volks-man
Cruiser

Thanks everyone, the bike is wonderful. I've been practicing every chance I get on the back roads around my house. I've been taking her to work too, I work about 11 miles from my house so its good practice with some traffic without too much distance. I'm working on getting the bike cleaned up really nice now, the previous owner let it get some water spots on some of the chrome and some bad brake dust ( i guess) around the wheels.

For my first bike I couldn't have asked for a more perfect bike. I'm still riding her very slowly because I want to make sure I can handle it, but I'm slowly getting more confidence. I think the fastest I've had her is up to about 55mph. Very slow on turns for now. I've always been a very cautious person and riding the bike is no different. I'm loving the gas mileage too ! lol. Not sure how many mpg I'm getting yet, I'm still calculating on that, but so far its great.

The biggest problems I'm having right now is that I think I'm still nervous on the bike and often find myself squeezing the crap out of the hand-grips. I'm also worried that if I ever have to stop on a hill I'll roll backwards or that if I have to quick stop I'll lock up the brakes and get hurt. Any advice on these things?
advice?
it's never too late to take the safety course. MSF will give you a great foundation to build on as you gain experience. they teach you things you will use every time you ride.
toward your concerns specifically, you will be taught about using the brake and the friction zone on a hill. you will be taught on the bike how to use both brakes to their full potential in the event you need to stop short. you will be taught on the bike what to do in the event you need to stop while leaned in a curve.

i had no experience before taking the course last july. i racked up 4000+ miles in the few months following and i use skills learned at the safety course every ride. mind you, they have evolved a bit, but i use them.
the confidence i gained taking the safety course is immeasureable.

best of luck with your new sporty! loosen your grip on those bars a bit and enjoy the ride.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:56 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by volks-man
advice?
it's never too late to take the safety course. MSF will give you a great foundation to build on as you gain experience. they teach you things you will use every time you ride.
toward your concerns specifically, you will be taught about using the brake and the friction zone on a hill. you will be taught on the bike how to use both brakes to their full potential in the event you need to stop short. you will be taught on the bike what to do in the event you need to stop while leaned in a curve.

i had no experience before taking the course last july. i racked up 4000+ miles in the few months following and i use skills learned at the safety course every ride. mind you, they have evolved a bit, but i use them.
the confidence i gained taking the safety course is immeasureable.

best of luck with your new sporty! loosen your grip on those bars a bit and enjoy the ride.

I taking the fact that he is in Florida and a dealer sold him his bike that he already has taken the course as it's required before being issued your endorsement.

If not, damnit Jimmy what the hell you doing man?!

Old 01-31-2011, 11:11 PM
volks-man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
I taking the fact that he is in Florida and a dealer sold him his bike that he already has taken the course as it's required before being issued your endorsement.

If not, damnit Jimmy what the hell you doing man?!
yes. my bad: i just found that earlier post. (below)
what i said still applies...
it is a great foundation to build on. he'll improve with time as he builds his skills.
and
loosen that death-grip and enjoy the ride! the sportster is a very solid, upright bike at speed.
my sporty nearly rides itself. i will occasionally use both hands while adjusting a glove... it always tracks true. (yeah, yeah, i know)

So today I did the first part of my MSF course. It was a blast, I had so much fun learning to ride. It was my first time ever on a bike and I have to say its more fun than I had even anticipated.
I did make some newbie mistakes and drop the bike....twice
The first time I was weaving through the cones and hit the front brake, yeah not good lol. The second time I let off the clutch, during the "friction zone". After I finally figured out how to use the friction zones and not breaking during turns I did excellent the rest of the class.
The last class of the day was quick stops and I really struggled with this. I was anticipating the stops a lot of the times, and then I have a habit of bringing my right foot down to the ground before my left foot. Quick stopping was the hardest part of the class for me, the instructor said we would get lots of practice tomorrow but I'm nervous that I won't get it right.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by volks-man
yes. my bad: i just found that earlier post. (below)
what i said still applies...
it is a great foundation to build on. he'll improve with time as he builds his skills.
and
loosen that death-grip and enjoy the ride! the sportster is a very solid, upright bike at speed.
my sporty nearly rides itself. i will occasionally use both hands while adjusting a glove... it always tracks true. (yeah, yeah, i know)

No worries, it was in a different thread any way. Plus, it was good advice!
I actually considered taking the MSF course again right after completing it the first time just to build more on what I had learned.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 AM
Jimmy Mullins
Advanced

I actually may take it again for fun and extra practice, our course here allows us to retake it for free once we've been through.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:02 PM
sfghoul
Novice

Glad to hear you're doing good Jimmy. My story is pretty much the same as yours in terms of having zero riding experience, I'm scheduled for my MSF course on the 24th and 25th. I can't wait.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:16 PM
johnelmo
Intermediate

Congrats. Be real careful, especially this time of year,winter residents,etc. A lot of our roads in Lake County have a tough time handling the winter cage traffic. Born and reared here. Bought my Vivid Black Fat Bob through Doug at Gator. Maybe we will meet out there. PM me if you have any questions. Nice bike.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 PM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

Nice.....congrats. Just ride your own ride...at YOUR own pace.....you'll be fine.