Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone installed a Sidekick seat on an 09 Iron?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:45 AM
no_barcode
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone installed a Sidekick seat on an 09 Iron?

The instructions say:

See Figure 1. Remove plastic cap (1) from rearward fender
hole and save.

Mine had a screw, not a plastic cap.

J03369.pdf

The instructions go on to say to move the retention nut & washer to the rear, but mine already has something there. (the screw and a washer or something under the fender)

The seat also came with a knurled ****, but there's so much tension from the tab being so far from the hole in the fender that I think it would be damn near impossible to get the tab screwed all the way down to the fender. (I couldn't get it - but maybe I'm just being a *****) So I just used the screw that was already there and was able to tighten it all the way down. It feels nice and secure now.

Also, shouldn't something go under the tab so it doesn't scratch the fender?

Old 01-23-2011, 12:59 PM
themac5150
Cruiser

Yes, I did. It's the worst seat I've tried. I like the looks of it, but the tab that goes under the tank would pop out all on it's own, and the front of the seat would start leading me into turns. You can get the **** on there, I did. The 09 irons already have the threads in the hole, it's got some sort of assembly/brace that the stock rear screw holds flush with the underside of the rear fender. If they made that seat with the standard round hole on the rear tab, instead of the oblong hole, it would be more secure. The fiberglass pan flexes and moves enough during use on mine, that it will slide back under the screw/**** on the rear tab. This gives it enough slack that a good enough bump causes the front tab to pop out. I duplicated it in my garage just by plopping down on the seat. I ended up getting the badlander seat for a low pro 2 up seat. It has the round hole in the rear tab and utilizes the locking post in the center like the stock solo seat engages. Very secure. I don't put anything under the tab, it's a denim finish, it's going to get scratches and shiny spots that's the nature of it. If you want to put something under it, try a thin plastic washer between the tab and fender when you install the screw/****. If the **** or screw is too short, pick up a slightly longer stainless screw/bolt at the hardware store.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:54 PM
no_barcode
Advanced

Originally Posted by themac5150
Yes, I did. It's the worst seat I've tried. I like the looks of it, but the tab that goes under the tank would pop out all on it's own, and the front of the seat would start leading me into turns. You can get the **** on there, I did. The 09 irons already have the threads in the hole, it's got some sort of assembly/brace that the stock rear screw holds flush with the underside of the rear fender. If they made that seat with the standard round hole on the rear tab, instead of the oblong hole, it would be more secure. The fiberglass pan flexes and moves enough during use on mine, that it will slide back under the screw/**** on the rear...
Good info, thanks!

Well, I guess if it starts giving me problems I'll try the Badlander. This one is already installed and I threw the box away. Maybe I should have waited to buy it during a time when I could actually take it out for a ride and test it out. Oh well.

True about the denim finish too. It's already getting pretty scratched up, don't know why I'm worried about a spot you can't even see. Guess it's because she's my baby and I wanna take care of her.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:25 PM
citdrum2
Novice

What's the update of the seat now that you can ride on it? Have you had a passenger on it? I am looking to get a 2-u seat for my iron and still don't know which way to lean. I also don't want to suffer looks for a big pillow seat, stuck between the badlander and sidekick.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:26 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by citdrum2
What's the update of the seat now that you can ride on it? Have you had a passenger on it? I am looking to get a 2-u seat for my iron and still don't know which way to lean. I also don't want to suffer looks for a big pillow seat, stuck between the badlander and sidekick.

I have tired the sidekick and badlander on my XL50. My bike has the 3.3 tank so it's not all the differant than an Iron besides it has the normal rear fender. The sidekick looked good, and was kinda comfortable, but did not flow with the lines of the bike. The badlander looks good, but felt like I was sitting on a plank of wood. I needed a nice looking 2 up seat for that bike as I hate the stock seat and my solo seat does not work for all the 2-up rding I do. I got a stock seat from a 2009 1200 C and love it on the XL50. It looks about like the badlander, but with more of a dip were the driver sits and is alot more comfortable. Since the seat is made for a 4.5 tank and that bike has the 3.3 tank if leaves a gap from the front of the seat to the rear of the tank like a nighters and I dig that look-makes the 3.3 really have the reanut look.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:41 PM
johnnyo883
Advanced

citdrum2, if you are interested, I have a sidekick off my 07 883L that I would like to sell. I liked the seat and it looked great, but my passengers just wanted more width in the passenger area. It is in excellent condition--no rips or tears.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:48 AM
citdrum2
Novice

Originally Posted by johnnyo883
citdrum2, if you are interested, I have a sidekick off my 07 883L that I would like to sell. I liked the seat and it looked great, but my passengers just wanted more width in the passenger area. It is in excellent condition--no rips or tears.
Have you had any of the problems with the seat shifting around as I have read about on the treads? If you would like to send me some pics and or a price of the seat email me at weasel04@gmail.com. Thanks

Old 05-21-2011, 09:19 AM
johnnyo883
Advanced

I have noticed the issues, but it never bothered me or affected the ride.