Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Taillight issue on XL883

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:07 AM
bigskyrider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Taillight issue on XL883

So, about a year ago, I took the liberty of chopping my rear Fender, removing the actual rear taillight and circuit board from the taillight housing. Also removed the rear license plate mount and mounted it to the side. So now, since doing that, I have bought one of those kits that turn your blinkers into taillights that HD sells. Well, I have a new set of problems now, oddly enough. I set up the kit for turning my blinkers into my brake lights, once done though, only one of my blinkers are functioning as my brake light, however when I run them as blinkers they still function normally. Since I was very perplexed by this, and because I had to remount the circuit board that was housed inside the old taillight, which all the rear running lights plug into, I plugged the taillights into their opposite respective slots to see the difference. Now the other taillight is on and the other is off, and both blinkers still work, just functioning opposite...I'm perplexed. I assumed by testing this, my wiring job was not flawed and their must be something either wrong with the circuit board, which I have bought a new one and am still getting the same issue, or Harley has some safety when it realizes the running taillight has been removed. Either way, I'd love to know if anyone has any ideas, or perhaps has done this move as well. Thanks a bunch.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hardwire your lights. You need to TOTALLY ELIMINATE that circuit board.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:00 PM
bigskyrider
Intermediate

So how exactly would I go about hardwiring those lights? Would I just eliminate the plugs on each and match up the wires by color? I still need to run those blinkers as my taillights too.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:14 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty much. I ran that circuit board a few years ago - then dumped it - doing the same thing you did. Ditch the board. Hardwire - solder your wires/cut off the plug ends. Trash the board. I tried googling the method but I can't find the site I saw once. The way I did it was by guessing. Buy some extra 15 amp fuses.

I suck at wiring and electronics, but I figured it out and it was well worth it.

If I can help in any other way, lemme know.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
bigskyrider
Intermediate

Does anyone have a clear wiring diagram for the way the lights are supposed to wired/split/spliced in order to get (running/turn signals/stop) lights all working? I am using a R/S/T module, and for whatever reason, the diagram I found is mostly correct, but when I try to split some of the hot wires for going to both lights, I either get only a bright running light on both or no running light, or one break and signal and the other only with a signal..HELP!!