Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stung by criminal damage costs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Bulldogextreme
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stung by criminal damage costs

Hey all just wondering if this is just the UK or does it happen in the USA as well.

Some thugs tried to screw driver me ignition and steering lock spoke to insurance as they said they cover everything. Found out it's going to cost me £550 for the bike to get collected and dropped off and another £400 for the 2 barrels to be changed.

Insurance said we don't cover the collection and seeing as the actual damage is £400 your excess meets that so you'll have to pay it all in one limp sum. I don't have that kind if cash. Looks like pride and joy will have to be sold now.

Extremely gutted

Old 01-19-2011, 09:57 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you don't have the right insurance/company.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly! I would re-read the contract and go from there.
My insurance company only charges a $250 deductible, which means that if the repairs are $2000 they will pay $1750 and I will pay $250. Most of the time they badly overquote me, which usually covers the deposit and then some. One time I had a claim (several years ago) they quoted me $1900 to repair nine dents in the hood of one of my cars caused by hail. I did the work myself for around $250 in materials. You can usually get two estimates, then have it repaired for the lower one and (depending on the damage and the deductible) the difference will cover the cost of the deductible.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldogextreme
Hey all just wondering if this is just the UK or does it happen in the USA as well.

Some thugs tried to screw driver me ignition and steering lock spoke to insurance as they said they cover everything. Found out it's going to cost me £550 for the bike to get collected and dropped off and another £400 for the 2 barrels to be changed.

Insurance said we don't cover the collection and seeing as the actual damage is £400 your excess meets that so you'll have to pay it all in one limp sum. I don't have that kind if cash. Looks like pride and joy will have to be sold now.

Extremely gutted
Can't someone pick it up for you and just let it sit for a while and just don't process the claim????

Old 01-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds to me like the damage cost is less than the deductible and they won't cover the transport to the shop to get it repaired.
The key switch is an easy fix, cut and splice. The neck lock shouldn't be that bad either, you might have to drill it out though. I would get the parts as you can afford it and fix it yourself or get a buddy to help you.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:24 AM
ironhide_uk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bulldogextreme

Extremely gutted
First off £550 to collect and drop off! Seems a little high to me, how far are you going? how many companies did you ring?
I would go back to your contract and re read it, are you full com or TPFT?

Old 01-19-2011, 12:28 PM
sexpanther
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude bad effing luck! screw the insurance company.

since the cost is the same as your excess, order a new ignition barrel and borrow a mates van and get it to an indy without the insurance company getting involved.

dont give up on the bike - its freezing here in the uk at the mo so you have a few months to save up the dosh to get it sorted!

Old 01-19-2011, 02:04 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

lets see some pics....sounds like your ignition was screwed up why dont you just repair it yourself....

Old 01-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Uncle Nick
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

That's bad news.

Whereabouts are you? Could maybe lend a hand if you want to give the repair a go yourself?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM
micky
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with everyone eas on this..Hire a van I did last october to take my bike 200 miles away to the dealer, £50 for the days hire, £4.50 to by my mate that helped me breakfast and 3 planks of 4"x2" as ramps...simples

Quick Reply: Stung by criminal damage costs