Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stung by criminal damage costs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Bulldogextreme
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the problem the location it was at if they hadn't of picked it up it would have got stolen and because they picked it up and have a crime reference number they quoted £300 that's parts labour and collection. I wish i never agreed to the quote. Because they couldn't take the steering lock off or out the key in the ignition they had to msn handle onto a van which the insurance company dictated which company to use. Problem in the UK this will be classed as a cat D right off if I try to sell it. As it's attempted theft damage. I can't get the bike back unless i pay the 550 for emergency collection. So screwed over either way

Old 01-19-2011, 08:26 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Holy crap! Now that is a pant load!

Old 01-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Uncle Nick
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bulldogextreme
That's the problem the location it was at if they hadn't of picked it up it would have got stolen and because they picked it up and have a crime reference number they quoted £300 that's parts labour and collection. I wish i never agreed to the quote. Because they couldn't take the steering lock off or out the key in the ignition they had to msn handle onto a van which the insurance company dictated which company to use. Problem in the UK this will be classed as a cat D right off if I try to sell it. As it's attempted theft damage. I can't get the bike back unless i pay the 550 for emergency collection. So screwed over either way
Won't it only be a cat D if they write it off?

As your bike should be worth more than £550 collection plus £400 to be repaired they shouldn't write it off, so no cat D.

Also I'd get a lawyer to check the collection fee and who is liable. MAG have a free service that hopefully would do that if you're a member. (If not, why not?)
The insurance company dictated who to use and ok'd collection so I'd guess it's down to them, especially as it prevented further damage / theft that they would be liable for and have a legal obligation to minimise.
(Had a similar case myself many years ago but with a car, mainly centred around recovery and storage charges. It went to the small claims court but I won in the end.)

Good luck, keep in touch and let us know how it goes.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:54 AM
r0880
Cruiser

Pretty standard you can't claim if damage is less than deductible as insurance company would be making a profit from your claim and hence makes it unethical to allow you to proceed. Surely the policy would include towing and storage costs as this is a standard inclusion in insurance cover in Australia, so would have thought it would be typical the world over.

If it says in black and white its not covered however, might have been better to leave it there and have it disappear? Costs that much to get a bike from US to Australia...

Old 01-20-2011, 09:07 AM
ironhide_uk
Tourer

I agree with uncle nick on this one it won't be a cat d write off due to the fact the bikes worth more than £900 (£500 tow fee and £400 repair)
If it does get a cat d write off you as the legal owner can buy it back at a really silly price, not sure what the percentage is but it will be really cheap.
Fix it or sell it,

Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 AM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That tow bill is off the charts, too! Isn't 550 just short of $900 U.S. dollars??? Around here an average tow (for a car!) is only $40 or $50. How many miles did they tow it?