Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone remove harness plugs w\tank lift?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 AM
dlhike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone remove harness plugs w\tank lift?

Allready did tank lift...was fun fitting harness with the (I believe it was) 4 big plugs under tank(did it last spring). Was wondering if anyone cut out the plugs and soldered the wires back together to clean it up. Am debating doing it this spring...

Will be removing the tank anyhow to install D&D Bobcats and XIED's.

Was also wondering if you remove the plugs can you still run wires on top of frame and set tank down without a lift?

Any help would be appreciated...

Old 01-13-2011, 11:19 AM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont need to do anything with the tank to install pipes or XiEDs

Old 01-13-2011, 12:29 PM
dlhike
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good point...

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
Dont need to do anything with the tank to install pipes or XiEDs
Thinking it would just be easier to get at headers and not hit the tank with ratchet while removing - also it was an excuse to get at the harness and clean it up a bit.

Right now I have it taped as 1 big bundle and zip tied to top of frame, was gonna try laying it out flatter and possibly work it around the frame hoping I could set the tank level without the lift.

This is why I asked about removing the plugs and soldering the wires together - looks simple enough the wires are all color matched. Was hoping someone else had done it and could offer any advise.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:36 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing wrong with your proposal, especially if you're good with a soldering iron. It would make R&R more difficult of several things those plugs are connected to, but if you don't mind the extra work (I would mind), it'll be fine.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:51 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Wouldn't hurt anything, I would pull the big bus fuse first just to be safe & make sure to solder everything & use heat shrink to avoid shorting.
I also would like to know if it's possible to be able to clean up the wiring this way without lifting the tank as I prefer the look with the tank low.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:52 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dlhike
Was wondering if anyone cut out the plugs and soldered the wires back together to clean it up. Am debating doing it this spring...
Did it on many show cars, just not a motorcycle. You have to be careful not to run the wires too far for loss, but with a bike that should not enter into it at all.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:54 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dlhike
Thinking it would just be easier to get at headers and not hit the tank with ratchet while removing - also it was an excuse to get at the harness and clean it up a bit.

Right now I have it taped as 1 big bundle and zip tied to top of frame, was gonna try laying it out flatter and possibly work it around the frame hoping I could set the tank level without the lift.

This is why I asked about removing the plugs and soldering the wires together - looks simple enough the wires are all color matched. Was hoping someone else had done it and could offer any advise.
Good by theory, but a ratchet and an extension would make sure not to hit the tins. Pipe swaps and O2 plugs are simple, I recently did it in the snow outside within about 20 minutes. That included taking off the belt cover, since I had to change the brackets for the short shots. Also had to disconnect the linkage to the forward controls. Still a simple task.

Old 01-13-2011, 04:59 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

another idea is to remove each cable pair from each end of the connector and reconnect them outside then cover each one with heat shrink tubing... that way you can always disconnect and reconnect in case you are troubleshooting or working on a mod..

Old 01-13-2011, 05:27 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by joebotics
another idea is to remove each cable pair from each end of the connector and reconnect them outside then cover each one with heat shrink tubing... that way you can always disconnect and reconnect in case you are troubleshooting or working on a mod..
good thinking!

Old 01-13-2011, 05:40 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suggested this cut/solder mod to someone a while back who didn't like the look of the lifted tank. It sounds like a fun job and something I may do down the road.

Quick Reply: anyone remove harness plugs w\tank lift?