Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hands Tingling

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Mike Willmont
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Hands Tingling

My wife has a new 883 superlow. She is complaining that her hands tingle a lot while riding. I presume it is from the vibration. Is there any product to help reduce the vibration.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:29 PM
chrisangie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going to sound crazy, i thought the same thing when it was told to me, adjust the bars. I moved mine just a little down and it stopped.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:39 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Tell your wife to not grip the handlebars quite so tight. A lot of riders put on a death grip while riding. She will notice a difference. Tight enough not to fall off but not too tight.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It will help if you wear gloves, (even fingerless gloves if it's hot out), change the grips to something softer, and don't hold on so tight. Check your motor mounts too, I have heard of them coming loose or being defective. The more she rides she will get used to it too.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:48 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

First thing is change the angle of the bars. It can make all the difference.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM
hig4s
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All good responses,, and I'll add, adjust the levers up a little, and have her cover the brake and clutch levers with one or two fingers.. (but only if she feels comfortable doing it)

It helps a lot, because with levers up a little and one or two fingers on the levers it forces you to relax your hands and forearms. It is an old motocross racing trick.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Sammy1200N
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The tingling comes because she has a break in the angle of her wrist. A nerve in her wrist is pinching. Fit the bars to her so she has a flat wrist. Make sure the grips aren't too big for her. Make sure she is sitting the right distance from the bars.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Good answers so far. I'd also add that the tingling can come from problems in the shoulder, tension in the upper body, mis-aligned vertebrae and other nerve issues in the neck, and carpal tunnel. Fit the bike to her first, then get her to relax hands/wrists, then relax shoulders. If the problem persists, get her checked for carpal tunnel and nerve issues in the neck and shoulders.

I had the tingling issue with my FXD, and the vibration-reducing gloves made it worse. Thin gloves give a better feel, and cause you to relax your grip more, and might be another contributing factor.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Mike Willmont
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies. I will try your recomendations.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:28 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Fitment of the bars may be a contributor, but make sure that the when her hands naturally lie on the grips, regardless of the height the bars end up after adjustment, you want her wrists to be straight when she rests her fingers on the top of the levers. So you might have to loosen and adjust the lever height to compensate for this level appearance. As another mentioned, padded gloves will help and she should be wearing them anyway for abrasion protection in the event of a crash. If it's tingling in just the throttle hand, that will get better as she gains strength in that hand. If it's tingling in both hands, then it's due to vibration and there are other things to be considered. Make sure that the front tire is not over inflated and that everything in the steering column is properly torqued.

Quick Reply: Hands Tingling