Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like I'm getting my tank re-painted (pissed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:57 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Wait a minute - you have "cleaning ladies?" If that's the case - I think you can afford a paint job for the scoot...
I was think the same thing.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:04 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
JOSE - I see your bike is changing and we get no updates. Time to make a new thread or new album.

Galvatron - Sorry for the quick HIJACK! SAD FACE!
Shame on you for hijacking the post!!!!!!... hahaa.. man... just minor changes on the bike.. I have been hit with a lot of personal crap.. but I've got some good stuff coming for my bike (including the hand shift-foot clutch)

Galvatron.. since you removed the tank. before you commit to the expense of repainting it.. how about you play with the lower part of the tank that is not usually visible?... I did that with mine.. things like getting the touch-up paint.. applying some of it to a clean sponge.. then lightly rubbing it to the lower part.. perhaps you can come up with a cheap way to fix the tank ...

Old 01-13-2011, 06:10 AM
Aus Iron 883
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is really gay. I put my little cousin on mine for a few pics the other day and his greasy mitts got finger prints all over the tank. Wiped off with a hanky though. It sort of looks like an oily substance. Good luck with it Galvatron and let us know how you go

Old 01-13-2011, 06:41 AM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's not coming off with a scotchbrite that tells me that it's probably coming from under the paint. There are a lot of things that could cause it..from prep at the factory (handling bare metal without gloves, not cleaning it properly after handling) I've seen hand prints show up months after painting from just that. You've already committed to a new paint job..why not sand down thru the surface to see if it's coming thru the primer. It may have been working it's way thru for sometime...good luck.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jharanin
If it's not coming off with a scotchbrite that tells me that it's probably coming from under the paint. There are a lot of things that could cause it..from prep at the factory (handling bare metal without gloves, not cleaning it properly after handling) I've seen hand prints show up months after painting from just that. You've already committed to a new paint job..why not sand down thru the surface to see if it's coming thru the primer. It may have been working it's way thru for sometime...good luck.
I'm thinking greasy hand print, or suntan oil hand print on a satin finish - got absorbed into the paint. If it were under the paint, the paint would have pealed, or not even have stuck in the first place.
Ever try and paint an oily spot? Not gonna happen.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:59 AM
mrodff
Tourer

It must have been the road gnomes coming to get back at you for the way you refer go the cleaning ladies... If you don't trust them get off your *** and clean yourself.... Oh and get a guardian bell!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 317 Posts

Yes, the difficulties of the demin paint in that one can not polish the finish.

As above, is it a surface stain? Or is it coming from below the primer?

If surface and Windex has not removed the stain, the only option is to sand the stain with 600 then 1000 grit sandpaper.

Else, or if from below the primer, yep repaint (or live with it).

Good luck to you.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes I have painted over an oily surface and yes it did stick...I'm talking oils from your hand not motor oil. If there were contaminates on the surface just like moisture in a line it could surface months later. In time that paint may peel..

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
I'm thinking greasy hand print, or suntan oil hand print on a satin finish - got absorbed into the paint. If it were under the paint, the paint would have pealed, or not even have stuck in the first place.
Ever try and paint an oily spot? Not gonna happen.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Galvatron
Cruiser

It absorbed into the finish. The only thing I know that would do this is brake fluid, but there is no way it's brake fluid unless the knomes are working on my bike when I'm gone. Oh well, keep watching for a badass new paint job. I found a local airbrush artist that does unmatched out of this world work. Here's an example:

Last edited by Galvatron; 01-13-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 PM
cjbmustang
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Galvatron
It absorbed into the finish. The only thing I know that would do this is brake fluid, but there is no way it's brake fluid unless the knomes are working on my bike when I'm gone. Oh well, keep watching for a badass new paint job. I found a local airbrush artist that does unmatched out of this world work. Here's an example:

PBR + airbrushing = win.

his work looks sick! only thing i can think of that would do that is brake fluid. unless someone ate a bologna sandwich and left it on your bike for a while

Quick Reply: Looks like I'm getting my tank re-painted (pissed)