Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like I'm getting my tank re-painted (pissed)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
once you took a scotchbrite pad to it you sorta put that last nail in its coffin.........
yep...what he said.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:45 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Scotchbrite?! What the heck?! This is like the guy, when I worked as a detailer at a Nissan dealership, that had tree sap on his 300Z and took steel wool to it to try to get it off. He wanted us to try to buff the car. He had actually cut down to primer is some areas.

NEVER use an abrasive pad on paint...unless you're prepping it for repainting.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:01 AM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmmmm........looks like handprints to me but can't imagine what would leave a stain that can't be removed like that. Oh, by the way - send pics of the cleaning ladies - Hot Latinos??

Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Assuming it's a handprint,.... did you use a lot of suntan oil last season?

I never did care for that Denim finish. I'd just bet oils can be absorbed into the surface.
Wiping hard would just polish those areas to shine more than the rest.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 AM
ironhide_uk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by csmauley
Well, when you get it repainted... leave the badge off this time, thats what my plan is at least.
Anyone have pics of a black iron without the badge on, need to repaint mine and was thinking of doing the same

Old 01-10-2011, 11:12 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Doesn't matter what it is or was....once you took a scotchbrite pad to it you sorta put that last nail in its coffin.........UNLESS you were trying to find a excuse to have it painted, then you did a good job.
Yeah that is what I was thinking. My God never use one of thoes on any surface that you don't want to redo.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:00 PM
RAL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Galvatron
So yesterday I went out into my garage to install my Dakota Digital gauge I got for christmas on my Iron883. Install was easy as pie. Afterward I stood ....................... I'm suspicious of everyone. Does anybody have an idea of what could have caused these stains???

Hers are some pictures of the stains (disregard the scratching, I did that)
]

WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING!!!????

Sorry man somebody had to ask?

Old 01-10-2011, 01:07 PM
Galvatron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Calm down people. I did the scotchbrite after the tank was removed and I was committed to getting it resprayed. I know better than that. Although you can get a close match to the black denim by using scotchbrite on GLOSS black.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Galvatron... unfortunately the denim black paint finish is almost impossible to maintain in original condition... there are touch-up pens and you can even buy a quart of the paint online from the HD website ... denim black paint also seems to be pretty chemical resistant... when I got tired of my tank being scratched up just by riding the bike.... I decided to "rattle can" it... well... I applied thick coats of Zip Strip paint remover... it didn't do anything to the denim black paint... it seems to be some sort of tough epoxy finish... I do not see an easy way to fix the damage done to your tank but to repaint that area or perhaps the whole tank...

Old 01-10-2011, 06:51 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joebotics
Galvatron... unfortunately the denim black paint finish is almost impossible to maintain in original condition... there are touch-up pens and you can even buy a quart of the paint online from the HD website ... denim black paint also seems to be pretty chemical resistant... when I got tired of my tank being scratched up just by riding the bike.... I decided to "rattle can" it... well... I applied thick coats of Zip Strip paint remover... it didn't do anything to the denim black paint... it seems to be some sort of tough epoxy finish... I do not see an easy way to fix the damage done to your tank but to repaint that area or perhaps the whole tank...
JOSE - I see your bike is changing and we get no updates. Time to make a new thread or new album.

Galvatron - Sorry for the quick HIJACK! SAD FACE!

Quick Reply: Looks like I'm getting my tank re-painted (pissed)