Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went down (again)...Im done.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:40 PM
michaelmartin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Do what you gotta do. You'll ride if you feel it, but if you don't, you know it's stupid to get on a bike if you're gunshy.

Just glad you're still here to talk about it.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Billie
Dude, you know you don't want to hang it up. I believe if you just practice being more aware, more cautious and slow down a little so you can do just those two things you can still feel free with the wind in your face and bugs in your teeth !!!!
It doesn't always have anything to do with being more aware or more cautious. Motorcycle riding is a dangerous sport and anyone who thinks otherwise is either in denial or delusional. At some point, it is bound to happen. By that, I mean, "the crash." Proper training can lessen that chance, but it can't remove all the danger. You still have to ride on roads with other people who may, or may not, see you: who are perpetually distracted with kids, the radio, or cell phone (not to mention make-up or the morning newspaper). We ride on roads that can be often poorly maintained; roads that have gravel, wet leaves and animals; roads that have very little run-off for that "just-in-case" moment.

Some of us understand that danger and plan accordingly with training and proper safety gear. Others are unwilling to understand that and ride, and wear, accordingly. For me, the desire to ride outweighs the danger, but I wear leather and a FF helmet so that when, and if, I crash, I will have a better chance of going home. But I also understand that some people will fall and say "I'm done." That's their choice and I don't look down on them. Heck, just by riding once they've done something the majority of people won't even try.

So, if the OP decides to hang up the leathers: Good luck my friend, we will miss you on the road.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:49 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Try scuba diving. It's safer than riding on the street and there's women in bikinis. Women in bikinis dig drummers. It'll change your life.
I hope you mend-up well.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HarleyScuba
Try scuba diving. It's safer than riding on the street and there's women in bikinis. Women in bikinis dig drummers. It'll change your life.
I hope you mend-up well.
Don't think that there's many place to scuba dive in Oklahoma.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:57 PM
tlever
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the bike up till Spring. Then decide if you really want to be done. It sucks that you wrecked!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 PM
Blackheat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about you going down, and that you wind up staying over night in a hospital. As far as putting helmet on the shelf only you know when its time.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:09 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Chuck,
From one Okie to another, looking at your signature picture, I completely understand why you lost control hitting a pothole.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:11 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep yer machine
In a few months the gals will be pulling up their tops for you as you scoot on by

Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tlb
Chuck,
From one Okie to another, looking at your signature picture, I completely understand why you lost control hitting a pothole.
???? What?! I keep lookin at his pic and can't figure out why you would say that.

Is it cuz of the bars? Cuz the bike isn't lower than any other Nightster/Iron/40/Low. Plus, the clip-ons will actually improve control in most situations.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 PM
freeboy
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do what you gotta do. I have had three wrecks the latest back in Sept. All three were my fault so I am not nervous when out on the road until I get into the twisties especially if riding in a group setting. I just go slower now. Maybe we should all just start riding chopped out trikes, at least we could coast to a stop. Thanks for posting, and as they say " keep the shiny side up"

( the ground that is )

Quick Reply: Went down (again)...Im done.