Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went down (again)...Im done.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
barrachuck
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Before you give it up...not sell the bike...keep it around for a while....Ride around the block a few times...relax before you hang it up. If its in your blood...you will wished you kept your bike...

Old 01-04-2011, 06:32 PM
toocruisin'
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Glad to hear...

Originally Posted by motordrum
Osco, Fair questions. I was doing a head check for the blind spot and I hit it before I knew it was there (things happen pretty fast at 60mph). I've been riding for several years (year round) and took the MSF course. I just read a story a while back where the same thing happened to a motorcycle cop in Dallas, and they are VERY skilled riders. As far as injuries, I walked away with a limp and a few scrapes.
Thanks for the well wishes.
...that your injuries were not serious. Thanks for your post; it serves as a great reminder that even experienced riders with accident avoidance training can still meet with danger. Whatever you decide to do regarding riding in the future, good luck to you!!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:33 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm glad you are alive and were wearing proper riding attire.

Let's be realistic, it's just a mode of transportation. It doesn't make you a badass, it doesn't define your lifestyle. It's a fun way to get around and for some a hobby.

I say give it up if you want to. It's better than being killed.

Who the hell are any of us to encourage you to risk your life again if you don't feel like it?

and if you do really want to stop riding, only a jerk would think less of you.

that being said, I would like to buy those saddlebags for my iron.

Glad you are ok. And you are right, sometimes on the road stuff just happens that you really couldn't have prevented.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:38 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would have quit after the first time. good luck in your future endeavors.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:43 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraboy
Who the hell are any of us to encourage you to risk your life again if you don't feel like it?

and if you do really want to stop riding, only a jerk would think less of you.
??? No one is telling him to "risk his life again" or thinking less of him. I think all we're saying is to not make a decision about this right after the accident. Give it some time. I remember how I felt after mine. It was like "Heck no! I ain't ever gonna ride again." Though I really didn't have much choice as the bike was totalled. But after the initally "fear" emotions wear away, the itch to ride may come back. My advice is that, if the bike is still ride-able, don't get ride of it right away. If the OP still feels the same after a few months, then he's not out anything and can sell the bike. But if he sells the bike, and then decides he wants to ride, then he won't have a bike.

Last edited by veritas.archangel; 01-04-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:49 PM
Galvatron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with the dirt bike advice. It can help with your thirst to ride without putting you in the middle of traffic. It can also help you gain more skills on two wheels and possibly build your confidence back up.

Earlier this year I had a car swing wide and put me off the road into gravel, turning was not an option at that point so I buckled down and jumped an embankment and crashed the bike. I was lucky enough to ride home, but since then my confidence is still not what it was and I feel it eveytime I go into an outside 90 with a car on the inside opposite lane. Hopefully I can get past it, but I do understand.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:56 PM
AngelaS
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sounds like a rough tumble, hope you get better! Having one rough accident like the one you had in 2007 would be reason enough for most people to give it up, so don't feel bad no matter what you do. Best of luck.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your accident. Check out this site. It may help with your decision

http://www.bikershaven.info/

Old 01-04-2011, 08:13 PM
papadop88
Road Warrior

sorry to hear man...glad your ok though. like everyone said, take your time and think about it. No one said you have to get right back on. You might just be a cat and have nine lives, which means, you have seven more to go if my math skills serve me right.

I've hit a pothole on the freeway once when I was doing the same thing, turning to check blind side going about 65-70mph. It bucked me so hard, I flew at least 6" off my seat. Don't know how I stayed on and straight, but don't care to know. I'll take it. I can tell you I grew a vagina real quick all the way home.

Good luck and again, glad your ok!

Old 01-04-2011, 08:29 PM
Billie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, you know you don't want to hang it up. I believe if you just practice being more aware, more cautious and slow down a little so you can do just those two things you can still feel free with the wind in your face and bugs in your teeth !!!!

Quick Reply: Went down (again)...Im done.