Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of oil should i put in?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 12:03 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Default What type of oil should i put in?

i did a search and found about a million different reponses to threads about what type of oil to use, but nothing real definite. I am going to get my oil changed today for my 2001 sportster 883 (with 1200 conversion) it has 10K miles on it and i dont think the oil has ever been changed by the color of it (solid black) I dont have a manual but id like to make sure they use the right type of oil (im going to a MC shop to have it done that is not the stealership), can someone please just give me a quick answer to what type of oil i should use? the weight and kind. thank you. How much does the stealership charge for an oil change by the way? these guys im going to charge $25. I figured the dealership would at least be one hr minimum which would be around $75. Ridiculous for an oil change.

Old 09-30-2006, 12:46 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: What type of oil should i put in?

I have a 05 1200 C. I got my owners manual out to answer your question. It states: If it is necessary to add oil and Harley-Davidson oil is not available, use an oil certified for diesel engines. Acceptable diesel engine oil designations include: CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 and CI-4. The preferred viscosities for the diesel engine oils in descending orders ae: 20W50, 15W40 and 10W40. At the first opportunity see an authorized dealer to change back to 100% Harley Davidson oil.

As far as Harley oil goes, if the lowest ambient temperature is below 40 F use Multi-grade 10W40. If above 40 F use Multi-grade 20W50. Above 60F use Regular heavy SAE 50 and if above 80 F use Extra heavy SAE 60.

Good luck!!

Old 09-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Stellier
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well since you're converting to a 1200 I'd say go with what has been interesting you. If you're into sythetics, AMSOIL, Mobil 1, Penzoil Platium. Don't go with the HD Syn 3. You want to keep your transmition with the same weight as the OEM (75/90). AMSOIL is what I went with and I like it, it's more expensive but it's definately worth it. You can go to their website and see the comparisons for yourself.

Old 09-30-2006, 01:02 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Harley engines can live very well on just about any oil. It's the "Harley Owners" that fret and worry about specific oils.

As long as you change your oil and filter at frequent intervals you will be fine, and I can't recall any engine failures caused by the type of oil being used.

That being said, it's hard to go wrong with a good synthetic oil, and myself and most others that I know have been running 20W-50 year around for a long, long time.

I prefer Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50 just because we buy in in 'bulk', but Amsoil, Lucas, or any of the other flavors out there formulated for V-Twin engines would work just as well. I know others with very high mileage EVO's that run regular automobile synthetic 20W-50, and they have never had a problem.

Main thing is to just change the oil and filter frequently, and I do that at 2,500 to 3,000 mile intervals.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:59 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Synthetic like Amsoil. Tim

Old 09-30-2006, 04:42 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior

Man! Well the local MS shop that i always go to charged me $52 for oil and filter change. They put a chrome filter on though which was cool, I asked him what type of oil they use he said 20/50 for V-twins, then he said they could put pure synthetic oil in it if i wanted....not sure what the difference is, so i told him just to put what they normally put in harleys (they had harleys lined on for oil changes) anyways...i trust these guys alot more than i do the dealership if that makes any sense. So why is it a car costs $28 bucks for an oil change, and its $52 for a bike? Oh well, i called the dealership a few minutes ago to see how much they would charge, they said $85 for parts and labor.....for an oil change/air filter? and they had a 2 weeks wait time to get my bike in, and id have to leave it all day. jesus christ. This bike shop i go to, i called today had it in within the hour and they were done in 20 minutes and i drove away. Its hard getting use to the stealerships prices/attitudes/wait times. Is there some services the dealership provides that a real good trained MC mechanic cant? If theres a reason why i should take my bike into a harley dealership to get worked on let me know, i mean i know bikes all have thier differences, but my local shop had harleys lined up to be worked on, and always have worked on harleys and other bikes. Isnt a bike a bike?

Old 09-30-2006, 05:02 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have a good independent shop within your reach, you're lucky and I would think a fool if you didn't use them.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:36 AM
sporty
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local indy shops are great for service but warranty work and service updates have to be performed by harley (free if on warrany) if not on warranty then ???

Old 10-01-2006, 01:13 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior

Nah mine is way past the warranty it being a 2001.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Broken Leg Rider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not Harley Synthetic? I use it.

Quick Reply: What type of oil should i put in?