Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 09:26 PM
Blaven48
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out the Bell Custom 500's. I to have a small head but this helmet doesn't have the goofy mushroom look. And its pretty comfortable, their size chart is pretty close to the actual size of your head.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:44 PM
delane
Tourer

I wear a Fulmer v2. Works for me!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
I raced for decades, and yes they do impair your vision. (The ones from the 70s). All buckets have pros and cons. NONE protect you from soccer mom & diesel dan.

If you get hit hard enough all they will give you is an open casket funeral.
After my chin hit the street in 6/71 and I needed a couple of stitches to close the cut, I got my first FF helmet. I think there was a slight vision restriction, although I am not sure if it was physical or psychological, but the new ones don't have any vision restrictions at all.

At least the ones I bought in 1982 and 1999 didn't. In addition, for the poster from Texas that complained about the heat, try one with vents. It gets pretty 'warm' here in Vegas and I really think a helmet with vents keeps you cooler then riding lidless. You get a breeze across the the top of your head and over your face, as long as you are moving and the face shield is closed. And it does this without the rays of the sun baking your head.

It is true that "If you get hit hard enough all they will give you is an open casket funeral". But that will probably be caused by internal injuries that have nothing to do with your head. On the other hand, if your face or head hits something solid a helmet may protect you from massive facial injuries. And most important it may prevent a head injury which can be a result from even a low speed incident.

Personal choice is nice. Just be sure your choice is one you want to 'live' with.

Ron

Last edited by rjg883c; 01-03-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the HD modular but I also find it bulky. I'm so skinny that if I'm not wearing my jacket...bleh :P

I'm looking at the Shoei RF-1100 in matte black. They also make XXS for the OL.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just live with knowing all DOT helmets are going to give you the mushroom head look. I know I haven't found one yet, and I've got like five or six different ones laying on my bar at home that were all listed as "the smallest DOT helmets on the market". The only one I haven't tried yet is the ACC Carbon helmets that keep going from DOT approved to not being DOT approved. I still mainly throw on my novelty. Wear what you want..........cause I'm not going to get into the whole helmet debate and tell you what to wear like these other jackwagons livin in mamby-pamby land.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 AM
tacoma5432
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many of you have been or know someone who has been nailed by the cops for wearing a NON-DOT???

Old 01-04-2011, 11:31 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tacoma5432
How many of you have been or know someone who has been nailed by the cops for wearing a NON-DOT???
Never & none to your questions, except the occassional poster on this here HDF site........Hell, half to 3/4ers of the cops that I know who ride, they ride around here with non-DOT's.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:15 PM
2011Iron883
Cruiser

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
The idea that a FF will cause injury and impair hearing and vision is a myth of the past that should die right along with the "NEVER USE THE FRONT BRAKE!" myth.
Totally untrue in my case. I hate my full face because I cannot hear or see as well out of it...at all. It is like it has a 'blind spot' and I really have to turn my head to make sure I haven't lost a car over there. I also cannot hear a car near as well that is coming up behind me.

It is weird but the rull face actually makes the sound of my own bike louder to my ears, thereby compounding the problem. But, I still wear it on highway rides and bad weather days.

It is a Noland...maybe I should try a different brand.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:17 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
A non-dot helmet gives you as much protection as a baseball cap. Why bother?
Because the commie state makes you. Thus the sticker on the back of my skid lid.

Its not a matter of safety. Its a matter of choice.

When the state took away the choice. It became a matter of rebellion. What bikers excel at.

Even tho they will never give We the People our right to choose back. ABATE has made them define what a helmet is.
A hard shell with a strap that attaches under the chin.
So here DOT means nothing here.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:25 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011Iron883
Totally untrue in my case. I hate my full face because I cannot hear or see as well out of it...at all. It is like it has a 'blind spot' and I really have to turn my head to make sure I haven't lost a car over there. I also cannot hear a car near as well that is coming up behind me.

It is weird but the rull face actually makes the sound of my own bike louder to my ears, thereby compounding the problem. But, I still wear it on highway rides and bad weather days.

It is a Noland...maybe I should try a different brand.
Strange. Because the FF cuts the wind noise, which then means I don't need to wear earplugs, I can hear better. WHen I tried a 1/2 without earplugs all I could hear was the wind. And when I tried it with plugs, then everything was badly muffled. Try spending the money and wear a high quality FF like Shoei or Arai. Very little wind noise, great ventilation, and the wind doesn't try to pull them off your head like many 1/2 and 3/4 helmets. They may be expensive, but well worth it.

Quick Reply: Helmets!