Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothin' when I push "start" button......

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:49 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nothin' when I push "start" button......

Came home from dinner tonight and lights out in the garage. Narrowed it down to an outlet, no breakers tripped, just a dead outlet. This just happens to be the outlet my battery keeper is plugged into for the sporty. Don't know what made me wonder about it but I decided to make sure the sporty was ok. Turned on the ignition & everything comes on like it should as usual, engage "on" button, wait for fuel pump light to play out, hit the start button and nada. No noise of any kind - no fire whatsoever. Plugged into a good outlet, took about a half hour but charger finally showed a full charge, tried again - same thing, nothin'. I got lights, horn, indicators, everything just no start. Could my ignition have fried when the outlet blew? I have no testing devices and no electrical savy so it's probably going to the shop. But before I take it in anybody have any ideas? In the meantime I'll leave it on the keeper all night. Would appreciate any constructive input. Thanks.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think that the trickle charger would take any blow from an electrical feedback, instead of letting it through to the bike. was the battery fine before this happened?
if the battery is fine, prob something else - all wiring tight?

Old 12-28-2010, 08:57 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior

Yep everything fine until tonight but I will go through & check harnesses & connections after work tomorrow and anything else I (or ya'll) can think of before I give up and take it in.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:15 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check your fuses. Are you sure it is just that outlet? Makes no sense that just that outlet goes bad. There is nothing to them except a copper plate and it takes a beating. I would look into the charger to make sure it is not shorting out. Something made that outlet go bad. I would also check to make sure no breakers were blown as this one could be on its own breaker or on another. and back to the bike check fuses and like you said the harness to make sure nothing is burnt. then check the battery and such.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:21 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the fuel pump is working and the engine light goes out then fuses should be ok. Take a look at the starter relay.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:00 AM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have a security system check the FOB battery.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:03 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the fuse. I had a fuse blow out which cuased an identical problem like you have. there are 2 or 3 spare fuses in your block you can use if one is blown.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:42 AM
DanDeuce
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lets try something real simply , try putting your handle bar switch (kill switch) in the run position . I seldom if ever use mine and the once or twice I have and try to start the engine , I give myself a good panic !

Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have security? Do the blinkers flash when you try to start? If so you may have a dead fob battery. Cant see how a power outage could cause a problem. My tender comes on as soon as you plug it in. There isn't a switch. Plus the I would bet there is some sort of fuse protect in the tender

Old 12-29-2010, 03:56 PM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Default All good!

Pulled my ignition fuse, it didn't look blown but when I replaced it with one of my spares............ vroom vroom. So all's well, thanks ya'll & happy new year!

Quick Reply: Nothin' when I push "start" button......