Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

progressive fork spirngs vs racetech fork springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 03:24 PM
hdpedro
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default progressive fork spirngs vs racetech fork springs

Hi!

What you think its better for front suspension of a new sporty 48, the progressive fork spirngs or the racetech fork springs?

Tanks

Hdpedro

Old 12-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking at Race Tech's site, it doesn't look like they make springs for your bike. Am I missing something?

Old 12-14-2010, 04:58 PM

Progressives.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:00 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To improve your front suspension I would look at Ricor Intiminators.
http://store.ricorshocks.com/Product...de=039-20-1001

Works suspension also has a Dual-Rate Fork Spring Kit
http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html

I did the RaceTech gold valve and spring kit a coulpe of years ago in my Dyna. Good results and no problems but the Ricor product wasn't available when I bought them.

Last edited by icecaps; 12-14-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

A progressively would spring is a method in which they make a spring. You go to your favorite spring manufacture and order it to your specifications. I do not believe there would be too much difference in companies who make them if you own a Sportster. All companies should make both linear wound as well as progressively would springs for your fork. I do not use a progressively wound (type of spring & not the company) springs as I prefer the predictably of a linear wound spring while going through the stroke. Others will argue as there are a few who race that type of spring.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by FastHarley
A progressively would spring is a method in which they make a spring. You go to your favorite spring manufacture and order it to your specifications. I do not believe there would be too much difference in companies who make them if you own a Sportster. All companies should make both linear wound as well as progressively would springs for your fork. I do not use a progressively wound (type of spring & not the company) springs as I prefer the predictably of a linear wound spring while going through the stroke. Others will argue as there are a few who race that type of spring.
I, for one. The OP is asking about two companies, not two different types of windings. For most people and situations, progressively wound (not "would," BTW) springs are better, as they reduce bottoming and increase control when approaching the limits. Note that I say "most," not "all." Everyone has their preferences, and there are good reasons to use each, but progressively wound springs are nearly always preferable.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:51 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
I, for one. The OP is asking about two companies, not two different types of windings. For most people and situations, progressively wound (not "would," BTW) springs are better, as they reduce bottoming and increase control when approaching the limits. Note that I say "most," not "all." Everyone has their preferences, and there are good reasons to use each, but progressively wound springs are nearly always preferable.
I am not going to argue over that point. I guess that most (99,99%) racers do not know what they are doing, you are right. "the progressive fork spirngs" Do you see a capitalized P in front of progressive, that is why I answered the question as I did. Where to you get the idea that "progressively wound springs are nearly always preferable." They are not.

BTW you are correct in the typo "would," in the beginning.

Last edited by FastHarley; 12-15-2010 at 09:54 AM.