Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help to make this a great xmas for my hubby

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:10 AM
harleyloverswife
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help to make this a great xmas for my hubby

My husband is a harley lover and finally got his sportser but he wants ape handles on it which I got him and now found out I need to get cables with it so where can I find cables? does anyone know of places in Northern Virginia where I can go and get the cables? I'm not trying to spend alot if there is somewhere I can get it for cheaper. thanks if anyone can help!!!

Old 12-11-2010, 09:23 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are in a rush, just go to HD and buy them. If you have time - check out ebay or small bike shops around town. Also, if he has the black stock rubber grips, you may wanna get new ones. The left side is glued on and hard to reuse.

Awesome idea posting on here. Your husband has a very thoughtful and caring wife!

Old 12-11-2010, 09:32 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunatly, the cables are the biggest expense when changing to apes. Plain black cables are cheaper than the braided type and just as functional. Also remember the front brake line!
But you need to go to a dealer or some other shop and explain to them what bars you bought, so they can determine how much longer the cables need to be. It's probably best to even take the bars with you when you go if you are unfamiliar with them and their dimensions (such as rise and pullback). Then they can figure out exactly what is needed much easier and more efficiently.
Good luck!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:15 AM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Do you know if he wants black plactic, braided stainless or "chromite" syle? If not, give him a nice shopping day with you at a Harley dealer. East Coast Harley has sales around Christmas. They're just a little south of Potomac Mills Mall and Ikea off 95. Check their web site. Plan on about 300 bucks for throttle/idle, clutch cables and brake line. Unless they're a "standard" size a lot of places want you to provide measurements, or "length over stock". There's also the matter of what angle for the ends.
You could also check with DR. V-twin, an HDForum sponsor who has good deals, if you know what size of ape hangers you're giving him and his preference on cable color.
Merry Christmas

Old 12-11-2010, 10:17 AM
PAsportster
Tourer
Old 12-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My advice would be not to fret over it. Choosing the right cables depends on a lot of different factors. Give him the handlebars and a gift card for the cables and let him pick out the ones he wants. If you just pick out something blindly he'll probably end up having to exchange them anyway.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Nabubba
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sharknose
My advice would be not to fret over it. Choosing the right cables depends on a lot of different factors. Give him the handlebars and a gift card for the cables and let him pick out the ones he wants. If you just pick out something blindly he'll probably end up having to exchange them anyway.

Agree 100% with this one.

If you husband can do the work himself then get a gift card or gift certificate for them. If he would rather have someone else do it then go to one of the indy shops and get a gift certificate covering the cables and the installation.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 467 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
+1 good advice

Old 12-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the handlebars to Patriot HD in Fairfax. Give them the year and model of your husband's Sportster and they should be able to hook you up. You'll need throttle and clutch cables and a front brake line. You will have to get electrical extension leads. I don't think the dealer will have them but you will have gotten most of what he needs.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:08 PM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Also, if he has the black stock rubber grips, you may wanna get new ones. The left side is glued on and hard to reuse.
actually if he has an air compressor with the needle tip blow gun those suckers will shoot right off.
just dont stand near the end when you hit them with the air, it can get painfull

Quick Reply: I need help to make this a great xmas for my hubby