Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 up with bobber??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:32 AM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 2 up with bobber??

thinking of doing a Bobber job to my 94 sporty this winter...its gonna be painted here soon so i want to make up my mine weather i want to bob it or not first.
for those of you that do have your sportys bobbed do you have any problems of any kind running 2 up at all? my wife dosent ride much with me but she will some i have a nice comfy 2 up seat but was courious if you all have any kinds of problems 2 up and bobed

Old 12-10-2010, 09:37 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're gonna do it, do it right. Get another bike for passengers.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:08 AM
flyingtiger77
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a bobbed X-Bones which has a swingarm mounted chopped fender, so a pillion is out of the question. What I ended up doing was building a floating seat that bolts on to the old fender strut mounts. Four bolts and it's ready to go two up. Post pics a lil later

Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To be truthful, a lot of it depends on your definition of a "bobber". Some people seem to think they have a bobber just because they took 3" off thier fender. Others consider it a serious chopped and lowered job. Old school "bobbers" have the shocks, turn signals, speedometer, and any other unnessecary items removed and tossed in the trash.
A true bobber, in my definition would never have a passenger seat, and anyone owning one would never consider a passenger seat.

So schwingding has the best answer so far.

I actually chuckled when I first saw the thread title. I guess my defintion of a bobber differs from some others.

Last edited by kahaone; 12-10-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:36 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

gotta agree with the other guys. a bobber is a bike with all un-neccesary items removed. no rear fender, no front fender, no signals, no speedo, and no way to ride 2up.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:54 PM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

ok thanks fellas....guess i didnt realize that some call a bobber something other than what i was thinking.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:52 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just ordered a brand spanking new Vrod Night Rod Special. Passengers beware, hold on tight!

Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by kahaone
To be truthful, a lot of it depends on your definition of a "bobber". Some people seem to think they have a bobber just because they took 3" off thier fender. Others consider it a serious chopped and lowered job. Old school "bobbers" have the shocks, turn signals, speedometer, and any other unnessecary items removed and tossed in the trash.
A true bobber, in my definition would never have a passenger seat, and anyone owning one would never consider a passenger seat.

So schwingding has the best answer so far.

I actually chuckled when I first saw the thread title. I guess my defintion of a bobber differs from some others.
Originally Posted by GlennB.
gotta agree with the other guys. a bobber is a bike with all un-neccesary items removed. no rear fender, no front fender, no signals, no speedo, and no way to ride 2up.
Close, but not quite on target.

A "bobber" has the front fender removed, the turn signals and speedometer removed, no permanent passenger seat. All true, and all in common with "choppers." A bobber also has the rear fender cut short, a "bobbed" haircut, as it were, which explains the name. If the stock bike had shocks, so does the bobber. If the stock bike had a swingarm, the bobber still does. If you cut off the back of the frame (chopping it), and replace it with a hardtail section, you have built a "chopper." This also holds true if you chop the backbone or downtube to add rise or length to the frame. This is how they got their names. Bobbed rear fender, stock style suspension and stock frame: bobber. Chopped frame: chopper.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:37 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bobbed rear fender, stock style suspension and stock frame: bobber. Chopped frame: chopper
Exactly right if you are going to go two up on a bobber a Bates style "P pad" is the is the "correct" way to do it and doesn't look out of place at all on a bobbed fender.

Old 12-11-2010, 01:28 AM
GlennB.
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Close, but not quite on target.

A "bobber" has the front fender removed, the turn signals and speedometer removed, no permanent passenger seat. All true, and all in common with "choppers." A bobber also has the rear fender cut short, a "bobbed" haircut, as it were, which explains the name. If the stock bike had shocks, so does the bobber. If the stock bike had a swingarm, the bobber still does. If you cut off the back of the frame (chopping it), and replace it with a hardtail section, you have built a "chopper." This also holds true if you chop the backbone or downtube to add rise or length to the frame. This is how they got their names. Bobbed rear fender, stock style suspension and stock frame: bobber. Chopped frame: chopper.
seems to me that according to you, i'm pretty much on target. tomato potato, lol.

Quick Reply: 2 up with bobber??