Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought My First Harley, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:11 PM
daffydubs
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought My First Harley, couple questions

Hello forum,
I have been wanting a motorcycle all my life. This past year I finally got a position at my job where I am able to afford a new motorcycle. I have spent a good year researching, checking craigslist/ebay, etc. I have sat on hundreds of bikes and none have felt right to me. My original intent was a crotch rocket but none of them felt comfortable and I dont want to go fast, I just wanted something to cruise and have fun on. Black Friday I got the urge to go check out a Harley at the Harley Davidson Dealership just for the hell of it. I always liked the look and name but never thought of owning one. I sat on the 48, Dyna, etc. Needless to say, as soon as I sat on the Iron I fell in love. This Monday I had it delivered to my house and couldn't be happier.

Just a couple newbie questions. I'm wanting a half-helmet but all the ones at the store had the mushroom look. I have a slim head and I looked goofy as hell. Anyone know of any good DOT approved half helmets with a slim profile? I want to protect my head as I promised the mother figure (who needless to say was heartbroken at my joy) that I would always wear a helmet.

I've also checked out the bassani sweeper exhaust system. Any pros/cons on it? And what would be a good filter? Of course they showed me the screaming eagle at the store but I was wondering what everyone else is using with some luck.

Thanks guys, can't wait for spring to get here!And now for some pics since I know everyone likes pics!

Last edited by daffydubs; 12-07-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 PM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ah... a nice clean slate. I remember when my bike looked exactly like that! Enjoy riding it, and all DOT helmets look dorky, get used to it. Some of the Daytona DOT helmets look slightly less so, but dorky still.

Personally I don't like the sweepers on Sportys, they don't agree with the lines of the bike. However it is all personal preference, if you like'm, that is all that matters.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice ride and welcome to it and the board!!
take a motorcycle safety class if you can find one- thats the most important mod you can buy, imo.

as to filters, i like my arlen ness big sucker.. when you change the pipes and sucker, my experience is that it also makes sense to put some money into a fuel management system. mine wasnt expensive and is easy to set - techlusion tfi. lets you adjust that way too lean setting to where you can ride safely (and hey, it also runs like a bat outta h*ll, which really makes it all worth while!)

as for pipes, i am more of a fan of vance & hines- check out their site. really nice sound and i dig the looks

Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 PM
daffydubs
Novice

Thanks for the info. I will check out the arlen ness filter. I like the look of the quarter fairing on the bikes (I know alot dont but for some reason I do) so I will check out their line of filters as well.

As far as the helmet goes, I'm going to go to a couple places this weekend. I want to get something DOT certified but I dont want to look like an idiot either so I will just test fit what is out there.

And I am planning on takin the motorcycle safety course this spring. They are finished up with them the rest of the year so I will just have to wait I suppose. But that is definitely on the checklist.

Thanks for the input!

Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Durockrolly
Banned

My advice to you (not that you want to hear it) is to ride it for a season. Take your time to get to know the bike and learn about what you might want to do to your bike. More often than not your vision of the way you want your bike will change a few times in the first year.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 PM
daffydubs
Novice

Trust me, I want all the advice I can get (good or bad). And it is all appreciated.

Chances are I will probably do what you are saying. But I can't wait a season for a helmet :P.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:50 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by daffydubs
Thanks for the info. I will check out the arlen ness filter. I like the look of the quarter fairing on the bikes (I know alot dont but for some reason I do) so I will check out their line of filters as well.

As far as the helmet goes, I'm going to go to a couple places this weekend. I want to get something DOT certified but I dont want to look like an idiot either so I will just test fit what is out there.

And I am planning on takin the motorcycle safety course this spring. They are finished up with them the rest of the year so I will just have to wait I suppose. But that is definitely on the checklist.

Thanks for the input!
i get it... but i also figured i have to compromise my safety for looks. i do have a coupla nice "brain buckets" (also have a full face that i almost never wear), but the helmet that i ride most in is a bit dorky, but its a great hat. love the pop up sun shade. i often get "where'd you get that" about my helmet...

http://www.hjchelmets.com/

check out the IS-33... has a face mask (i promise this is a great idea on the road and even some times around town if the wind gets rough) and also an eye pop up and pop down with just a touch of the top. love this one.

pretty much always ride with the eye cover down, even when its a bit overcast. at night i do leave that one up, but often pull down the big shield.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:14 PM
MADDOG187
Road Master

nice bike , as for a helmet , i got a HCI(helmet city international) open face slim fit in mat black , I'm in the u.k , but its USA DOT certified , so must be available over there , i tried loads on and thats the one that looked the slimmest , stay away from the jet style lids , they make you look like a Pokémon , the big sucker is nice ,k&n do a similar one as do others , theres not much in it , if you change the air intake you must do a fuelpak or power commander ,it will run to lean and damage the engine, you can do the pipes on there own , v&h slip ons are the cheapest way to go , I'm getting the straight shots in a few weeks(wifes buying them for my Christmas ) have fun ride safe

Old 12-07-2010, 11:12 PM
DeD Fred
Road Master

I bought my half skid lid when Regan was President. I took out the liner, and then took a dremmel to it.
It took a few hours, but it now fits my melon, and someday If my noggin ever hits something, I wont snap my neck from a top heavy bucket.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Schwanz583
Cruiser

I put the Allen Ness big sucker on mine and love it!!! Also added the v&h fuel pak, and v&h shortshots. Welcome to the family and enjoy the ride!!

Quick Reply: Just Bought My First Harley, couple questions