Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought My First Harley, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

As for the Scooter,,,Don't change a thing for the first year !!

After that do one change at a time,,Your gonna start seeing all kinds of Mods,,
thousands of combo's. While Its a stocker Its a one of a kind without spending a dime XD

Resist Factory stage One,,,$1,000 bucks by the time yer done,,
Its a 1200 and plenty fast...

I know what you and that cool scoot need the most,,,,Miles, lots of Miles

Old 12-08-2010, 02:01 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

To the OP, ride the bike a while before you start changing it too much. I would look at doing the Fuel Management upgrade first, since there have been a lot of people on this forum that have had issues with the stock FI map making the bike run bad, die and re-fire at times. Then you can go with exhaust and intake later.

As far as helmets go, I prefer Full Face (don't like bees, rocks, cigarette butts and the pavement hitting my face). But a saying I heard, and it works for me, is: "A ten dollar helmet for a ten dollar head." Figure how much your head is worth and buy accordingly.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
... "A ten dollar helmet for a ten dollar head." Figure how much your head is worth and buy accordingly.
+1

Figure how much your head is worth and buy accordingly.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:05 PM
themac5150
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer a full face helmet. I tried a half helmet when I got it, hated it. It sucks riding at any reasonable speed with nothing to divert the air. Think parachute on your head. I use a flat black Fulmer. If it's hot, I flip up the visor. No biggie. I have no trouble with hearing or vision.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:42 PM
daffydubs
Novice

thanks for all the replies and advice. I guess I need to start checking this site on my phone at work so I can keep up to date :P.

Originally Posted by IronBoy883
As far as helmets I got a half shell ZOX dot one for 39.99 shipped from east coast cycles ! I love it its low profile and I was suprised about how high the quality was. As far as the pipes I like the bassani sweepers but the one down side is you need a bracket if you plan on going 2 up as the pipes go over where you would put your rear foot beg on that side ! welcome and good luck with your iron
I looked at the Zox one online and I like the simple look of it but cant tell much of padding. Any chance you have a pic with it on?

And thanks again for the replies guys. It's all very appreciated. I think what I really need is for it to get warm so I can run the odometer up!

And if anyone has any pics of them in the helmets their describing that would be awesome. I check them out online but none of them show the padding which sucks.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Cruiser

Most helmet manufacturers use the same size shell and change the inner EPS foam to change the size. Both Vega and Zox use a smaller shell with the Med and Sm helmets. There may be other brands that do this as well, but I know these two do. I prefer the inside of the Zox. It has better padding and the front seam is not in the middle of your forehead making you look like Frankenstien when you take it off.

Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 552 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by themac5150
I prefer a full face helmet. If it's hot, I flip up the visor. I have no trouble with hearing or vision.
My experience here in the desert has been different, at least after helmets began having vents. I only raise the visor while stopped at red lights, and we have some killers here in Vegas.

But while I am moving there is a breeze over my head, inside the helmet. And down my face, behind the visor. It is a totally different experience then it was decades ago.

Ron

Old 01-17-2011, 11:40 PM
Pittsburghglide2010
Cruiser

Nice Scoot.........

The safety course is NUMBER 1......I think of what they taught me everyday and its been 10 years. The best class ever.

As for pipes, You cant go wrong with Vance and Hines or Bub.

Are you going to black it out .......

Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

The first mod for your bike that you get should be the Service Manual for your year and model bike. Read it and get to know your bike before you or you let someone else start taking the bike apart.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:59 AM
beringer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still prefer a Full Face Helmet until its a lot warmer here in the UK, i have a Craft RX7 Carbon Fibre (Looks same as a Simpson Bandit, but much better quality) and its sooo comfortable......As for the Filter,check out Joker Machine, their products are superb, and they do lots of different parts for Sportsters..If you check their website be prepared to start spending your $$ with them......

Quick Reply: Just Bought My First Harley, couple questions