Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between 2001 and 2010 Models?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
RAL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt M
To be honest its because of the deal Im getting. Buying from a friend for $3500, its got 5000 miles on it. And my paint guy says he will make it look like a new flat black Nightster for $750-$900. Good deal? Yes, no?

WOW that is a good deal...for him. Way over priced in the present market. 3 min search found this there are many good deals out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...Q5fmotorcycles

Do yourself a favor and look on E-bay and craislist. I think you can get a lot more bike for the $4400 you are about to drop on this setup!!!

RAL

Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Girls girls, you're both pretty and you'll both get dates for the prom. Can we stop arguing about this? Im sorry I didn't word the question better. To keep it simple, I want to make an 01 Sportster 1200 LOOK like a newer Nightster. Thats all. Im getting a hell of a deal on it and have a great paint hook up. Thats why I asked. Thanks for the responses everyone. I did get what I needed out of this conversation.

Is there a seat you might recommend to make it look closer to a newer Nightster? The current seat on it is a bit long, has enough room for someone on the back. I just want a seat for 1.
Go For It,,,

Old 12-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Matt,

The correct answer is 9 years. Buy the 2001. I'm biased though. Enjoy the ride.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:06 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by RAL
WOW that is a good deal...for him. Way over priced in the present market. 3 min search found this there are many good deals out there.

Do yourself a favor and look on E-bay and craislist. I think you can get a lot more bike for the $4400 you are about to drop on this setup!!!

RAL
+1. Look around first! Here are three examples of newer bikes (all post '04) within $500-$1000 of what you want to spend on that '01. Heck, one of them is a Nightster with only 314 miles on it for only $500 more than that '01.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:09 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah but thats around 20-25% more than he is talking about spending. Go for the 01, you wont regret it.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Matt M
3rd Gear

Dammit! Now you guys got me second guessing everything. I do like that Nightster thats on eBay (the other 2 are 883s) but I wouldnt feel comfortable buying it with damage without being able to ride it first.

I guess I need to do some more homework. If nothing else I could always beat my friend up a little on the price. I felt it was a fair price though. I wont actually be doing the deal until late next week so I have a little time.

Thanks so much for all the info so far. You guys are very helpful.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:34 PM
RAL
Cruiser

Dammit! Now you guys got me second guessing everything. I do like that Nightster thats on eBay (the other 2 are 883s) but I wouldnt feel comfortable buying it with damage without being able to ride it first.

I guess I need to do some more homework. If nothing else I could always beat my friend up a little on the price. I felt it was a fair price though. I wont actually be doing the deal until late next week so I have a little time.

Thanks so much for all the info so far. You guys are very helpful.
Matt I was a little ...harsh.. on the deal you Pal is offering. It is not that he is screwing you its just that with the glut of used sportsters you can get a LOT more bike for your money. It is what it is. Those are just what I came up with on a very Quick scan.
After you look and think you may still buy your buddie's bike. At anyrate it is best to get it all straight in your head now and then move forword with knowledge. Friendships have been lost over way less than a deal on a bike.

RAL

Old 12-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never buy a bike (or car) off ebay.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:51 PM
ThunderBueller
Road Master

Originally Posted by Terp84Alum
I would never buy a bike (or car) off ebay.
I bought a car there, no problems.
I sold a car and my Buell there, no problems.

Due diligence and common sense and you'll be fine. Great deals are there and a wider audience for selling. Both vehicles that I sold I did way better than I would have trying to sell local.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Matt M
3rd Gear

What are a few good aftermarket parts sites? You mentioned C&C, Mustang? Do you guys have an address for them? I did some searching but got a lot of advertisements. Might have been because Im in England right now and Google is finding a bunch of BS over here.

Quick Reply: Difference between 2001 and 2010 Models?