Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between 2001 and 2010 Models?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 03:51 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by thegrants82
Like he said, he wants to make it look like a nightster and doing so should be very easy with a few after market parts. There are plenty of vendors besides the motor company that can help him out.
Here's what he asked. Look carefully at the bold type.

"Hello everyone, I have a chance to buy a very well taken care of 2001 Sportster 1200 and I was wondering if there was any major difference between that year and newer years? I plan on making it look like a newer model Nightster, just wanted to make sure there wasnt anything that could make it a pain to do so. Thanks for any advice.

And what do you mean "a few aftermarket parts"? In order to to the rear fender alone means buying fender blank and then cutting it to match. Then the rear turn/running lights will need to be sourced and wired to work (not just a "plug-n-play" thing). The flip out plate is an HD part, there aren't any others out there that I've found.

If he wants the Nightster look, he's better off getting a Nightster.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:10 PM
Psyop
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy the 01 they are fun to work on simple and a lot lighter due to the rigid mount motor. Chop the fender. Get some fork boots nothing about the nightster look is hard to replicate. The 01 all ready has a peanut tank. I easily mounted a Nightster plate mount to the fender strut on my 00 just had to grind part of it off.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:40 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
Here's what he asked. Look carefully at the bold type.

"Hello everyone, I have a chance to buy a very well taken care of 2001 Sportster 1200 and I was wondering if there was any major difference between that year and newer years? I plan on making it look like a newer model Nightster, just wanted to make sure there wasnt anything that could make it a pain to do so. Thanks for any advice.

And what do you mean "a few aftermarket parts"? In order to to the rear fender alone means buying fender blank and then cutting it to match. Then the rear turn/running lights will need to be sourced and wired to work (not just a "plug-n-play" thing). The flip out plate is an HD part, there aren't any others out there that I've found.

If he wants the Nightster look, he's better off getting a Nightster.
LOL. My god you are clueless but it is funny how you need to keep having the last word. Couple of people at the shop here are getting a huge kick out of your rants.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Matt M
3rd Gear

Girls girls, you're both pretty and you'll both get dates for the prom. Can we stop arguing about this? Im sorry I didn't word the question better. To keep it simple, I want to make an 01 Sportster 1200 LOOK like a newer Nightster. Thats all. Im getting a hell of a deal on it and have a great paint hook up. Thats why I asked. Thanks for the responses everyone. I did get what I needed out of this conversation.

Is there a seat you might recommend to make it look closer to a newer Nightster? The current seat on it is a bit long, has enough room for someone on the back. I just want a seat for 1.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:34 AM
2011Deluxe
Banned

Not a problem, I understand what you meant. You could go to the HD website
and just look at the solo seats for your 01 and that will get you close to the nightster seat. Another thing that you could do would be to look at the C&C or Mustang web sites. I think looks wise a 01 HD solo or C&C solo will get you the results that you want.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:40 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah thoes bikes are night and day. my step dad has a 2002 883 and it is so differant than my bikes it's not even funny. If i were you I would find a 2007 or newer.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:37 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I still think you should look for at least an '04 or later. If this is your first Harley you may find yourself really not liking it. If possible, ride an '03 or earlier and an '04 or newer and compare. Here's what one major motorjournalist said in '03 about the new '04 Sportster:

"First Ride: 2004 Harley-Davidson Sportster Motorcycles

'At long last . . smooth! Harley-Davidson's 2004 Sportster motorcycles beg the question: Where have you been all my motorcycling life?' By Art Friedman.
From the August, 2003 issue of Motorcycle Cruiser

Vibration is a killer. It kills motorcycles by shaking apart components and loosening fasteners. It kills performance by making it uncomfortable to rev the engine, by frothing the fuel in the float bowl, and by requiring big heavy pieces to resist it. It kills riding fun by making the motorcycle unpleasant and causing fatigue.

The last of the great vibrators (in the motorcycle sense) were the Harley-Davidson Sportster family, the 883s and 1200cc 45-degree V-twins that made no attempt to suppress the considerable vibration of that engine configuration. Maybe it was an attempt to maintain the no-frills attitude of the Sportster series, but whatever the reason, that vibration has been a major failing of the Sportster series long after virtually all other motorcycles have banished it.

Now Harley-Davidson has recreated the Sportsters, building what is essentially an all-new chassis around a rubber-mounting system for the engine, which also has been updated."

Just see if you can do a comparison ride before dropping cash. Then if you still love the '01, buy it.

Last edited by veritas.archangel; 12-08-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:21 PM
Matt M
3rd Gear

To be honest its because of the deal Im getting. Buying from a friend for $3500, its got 5000 miles on it. And my paint guy says he will make it look like a new flat black Nightster for $750-$900. Good deal? Yes, no?

Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned

Originally Posted by Matt M
Girls girls, you're both pretty and you'll both get dates for the prom. Can we stop arguing about this? Im sorry I didn't word the question better. To keep it simple, I want to make an 01 Sportster 1200 LOOK like a newer Nightster. Thats all. Im getting a hell of a deal on it and have a great paint hook up. Thats why I asked. Thanks for the responses everyone. I did get what I needed out of this conversation.

Is there a seat you might recommend to make it look closer to a newer Nightster? The current seat on it is a bit long, has enough room for someone on the back. I just want a seat for 1.
You asked for a simple answer and it is yes. I had an 86 sportster and loved it. Don't get put off by people that complain about the vibrations because its what made them classics. People that are scared of carbs and vibrations will always bad mouth them. The 01 is a great bike and you can customize it to fit what you originally asked for. I say go for it and enjoy the ride!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:44 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd jump on it. Thats a good price with that few miles on it.

These guys crying about carbed ridged bikes obviously don't have a clue.

Quick Reply: Difference between 2001 and 2010 Models?