Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley dealer maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:48 PM
mrodff
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley dealer maintenance

How many people actually take their bikes in to the Harley shop to have them serviced? I did my 1000 mile service at the Harley shop($230) around august and now I'm coming up on 5k... Give me some advice please.. Should I take it in to the shop again or should I just do the synthetic oil change? Thanks!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 209 Likes on 171 Posts

I do all my own work. No warranty on the bike and I own it outright. It's cheaper, better work, and I know what's done and how it's done. If you still have warranty and can't really wrench, it is probably best that you let the dealer take care of it. It's all about what the time is worth to you. If you have more money than time, take it in. I personally really enjoy working on bikes/cars so it's like a vacation. I rarely, if ever take a vehicle in to a shop for work unless it's paint or body repair (I don't really know how to do those at all).

Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use indy guys... even when i had problems under warranty i paid to have them fixed, instead of using my free warranty, so that i could stay away from the dealers.
that said, i was on the road and blew an important fuse. was forced to visit a dealer. luckily i had a great experience (santa maria harley). so it reallly depends on where you live and who your dealers are i think.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:09 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a good dealer where I can drop my bike and walk to work so I have used them for about six years now. I don't really have the time so I would rather ride with my spare time. I think it depends on your time and the quality of your dealer.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:16 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

i did my 5K service in my backyard with a 6 pack of beer.

good chance to get your hands dirty doing stuff you really can't mess up all that badly.

change oil, check and lube cables, check your tires and spokes, snug up critical bolts...nothing you can't handle plus when you're done you can go spend $350 on parts because that's what you'll save doing it yourself.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:16 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have a good dealer in Alamo City Harley Davidson...they do everything for me. bike is always ready on time and they wash it any time it is in for any thing at all. they are good at matching prices on accessories and will install stuff i bought elsewhere. i expect good service and do not mind paying for it.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:17 PM
stev394
Advanced

Again doing your own maintenance DOES NOT void your warranty. Your stealer may want you to think that but its completely UNTRUE...Save your $$$$ and do it yourself....If you want to know what maintenance is required when check your owners manual it tells you exactly.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:30 PM
mrodff
Tourer

That's what I was thinking about, the warranty void.. I'd much rather do it myself besides i don't have $300 lying around

Old 12-05-2010, 11:46 PM
S/SixPack
Cruiser

Doing your own servicing isn't for everyone. I say if you have the skill, the knowledge and tools, go for it. Servicing a motorcycle isn't Rocket Science but needs to be done correctly. If you don't have the confidence to do the task, find a good dealer service department or indy shop and pay to have it done. A complete service is more than just changing the engine oil.
I don't believe all Dealership service departments are out to screw their customers. I do my own work, but my brother takes his bikes to the dealer for servicing and he's happy with their work and how they treat him.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:53 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by S/SixPack
Doing your own servicing isn't for everyone. I say if you have the skill, the knowledge and tools, go for it. Servicing a motorcycle isn't Rocket Science but needs to be done correctly. If you don't have the confidence to do the task, find a good dealer service department or indy shop and pay to have it done. A complete service is more than just changing the engine oil.
I don't believe all Dealership service departments are out to screw their customers. I do my own work, but my brother takes his bikes to the dealer for servicing and he's happy with their work and how they treat him.
a good brother would show him how to do the simple things himself, and how to keep some money in his pocket...

money that could go towards buying beer, maybe beer for a brother that saved him a few dollars...

see where i'm going with this?

Quick Reply: Harley dealer maintenance