Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting ain't an easy job!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:34 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Painting ain't an easy job!!!!

Now I see why the pro's get paid so much money to paint a bike! It's a LOT of work. And, when you are as clueless about painting as I am....well, it's a lot MORE work!! I just did my 4th attempt. Although it is getting better each time, I still am not too thrilled about it. But....I just might say screw it and live with this for next year.
I went with a bright blue metallic, with Diamond Blue metallic flames. It's just regular old "hot rod" flames, nothing special. But it's not a very good flame job either.

Basically I have learned that I have very little painting talent! But, I am determined, and ain't giving up yet!!

These haven't been clear coated, so they still look kinda dull. I need to decide by morning whether to go ahead and clear, or start sanding down to start over!!

But the more I look at them, the less I like them! But the guy at the paint shop knows I'm doing a bike, and I have already gone through a quart of each color! He laughs when he sees me walk in now! I'll feel like a total fool going back for another pint of both colors, plus more hardener! Oh well..... Luckily, I was smart enough to use the cheap Linco paint brand!

Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Start over. Do a solid color. Im a painter. This may be out of your realm. If you need help, lemme know....

Old 12-04-2010, 11:10 PM
Jenks01
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats wrong with it? I think it looks great, especially for being a home job.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:28 PM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive seen worse from guys who say they can paint....of coarse i cant see the flame edges up close....gotta give you credit for tryin

Old 12-05-2010, 12:16 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo
....of coarse i cant see the flame edges up close....gotta give you credit for tryin
About 98% of the flame edges came out fine. Unfortunatly, one of the bad spots is right by the gas tank filler. So, I'd be looking at that all the time, and that would just **** me off! But mostly, the edges came out fine.
Here's a pic of side covers and chain guard. I also painted the headlight bucket and brow. Did the bucket in the bright blue, and the brow in the silver.

ps. Don't mind the background......that is the dogs chair!

Old 12-05-2010, 12:17 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default are you serious?

Clear-coat 'em and put 'em on.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:44 AM
Sarin
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is challenging.My bike was my first automotive paint experience 2 years ago, i redid mine 2 times before i was satisfied. But when u get its a great feeling knowing u did it yourself. The only advice I can give is be patient and you'll get it!

Old 12-05-2010, 03:14 AM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

looks good .. my first time w a spray gun was on ford ranger. did some body work and layed a couple coats of primer. looked really good. tried to lay down charcol metalic .. god help me. ruined a really nice truck. after it cured, i started with the primer again. About the fourth time, I was happy enough to leave it alone.

what you did looks good. not clean enough to be professional, but you are on the right track. I like most of the flames. a few are off proportionately. but do not worry about what i or others on here think.

you said ther is an error near the filler that you will see every time you ride. that might irk you enough to not like your bike.

i would suggest spray it solid as suggested previously....practice taping your flames until you can do it in your sleep. this will cost you a couple rolls of tape and time.

once you get em looking the way you like, spray your second color.

good luck with this and remember to share the finished product.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go for it man! Looks good!

I had a friend of mine who is a professional painter spray my 07, charged me $1K but I'm sure he would normally get $1500. You're right though, it's a lot of work, mine has ghost flames on it, kind of fun to look at the pics of it in progress like yours.

Last edited by Blackcherry Low; 12-06-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:26 AM
TSD1959
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Clear-coat 'em and put 'em on.

Maybe you can airbrush touch-up that small spot by the filler.
Other than that, I'd say you did a great job, and you can
take pride in knowing you did it yourself. Look at all the $$$
you saved that can be used for other mods.

If you're like me, it's gonna get bumped, scratched, and get rock
chips in no time anyway. I didn't buy my bike just to look at,
I bought it to ride.

Quick Reply: Painting ain't an easy job!!!!