Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I put forwards on my Iron?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:49 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

went back to mid's with hiway pegs,and buddy pegs..
with just forwards , about 20-40 miles is all my ""man parts" could stand.
Had to get off for a while..

with three sets of pegs , I can move around and go untill gas is needed..
A set of hiway pegs are a lot cheaper than forward controls..

Old 11-28-2010, 09:48 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Me, too.

I've had both over the years, and forwards have their place, but they don't belong on a motorcycle that is ridden anywhere but on the interstates.
Control over your bike is greatly increased with mids and it's easier to 'stand up'. Maybe consider highway pegs as a cheap alternative?

In my own personal opinion, people look retarded cruising down the road with forwards - or better yet highway pegs on their crash guards.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:06 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by duffffmannnn
I think I want to put forwards on my Iron, but I remember a thread awhile back called "Anyone go back to mids" and now I am worried I will invest $400.00 to $500.00 into in and won't like it.

Anybody have experience going from mids to forwards?
The preference for one or the other usually has to do with 2 factors.
- The type of riding you do most, around town and/or twisty vs. a lot of highway cruising.
- Your height / leg length. If that's you in your sig pic, you may be on the short side for being comfortable with forwards.

For me at 6'2", I'm miserable with mids after 30 minutes.
That's me in my sig pic with forwards, and I'm far from "stretched out".

Last edited by cHarley; 11-28-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:10 AM
Dim100
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the forwards.

I changed my mids as soon as I got my Iron and prefer them 100 times over the mids. I sat on a Nightster after riding with my forwards for a year and felt cramped up immediately.

But as you can see everyone has their preference. Head to the dealer and test one out in all conditions and driving situations...

Old 11-28-2010, 10:19 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Control over your bike is greatly increased with mids and it's easier to 'stand up'. Maybe consider highway pegs as a cheap alternative?

In my own personal opinion, people look retarded cruising down the road with forwards - or better yet highway pegs on their crash guards.
I'll bet you don't do very many 500+ mile days either. The secret to long ride endurance is being able to change up your body position, assuming you're not vertically challenged, of course.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:42 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
I'll bet you don't do very many 500+ mile days either. The secret to long ride endurance is being able to change up your body position, assuming you're not vertically challenged, of course.

I have three sets of pegs on my bike - mids, rear mids, and rears. I'm 5'8" and anytime you wanna go 500 miles with me, I'm game.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:05 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
I had forwards - went to mids. BEST decision ever.
On your bike, I'm sure mids feel better. With handlebars lower than the headlight, using forwards would put your knee very close to your chin! And that was exactly what I was talking about in my previous post, concerning type of handlebars and riding comfort with forwards or mids.
Me, I have 10" high bars, with a 4" frame extension and forwards feel great. When I had mids it just felt cramped and weird. Forwards let me ride the way I feel comfortable. And, I am only 5'4", so height is not always the determining factor for mids versus forward controls.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:14 AM
reddust
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My height is 1.87cm. after 3 month with mid. controls now i set up the fwrds... really comfortable. all aches are finished. u should install frwds.

Old 11-28-2010, 11:38 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by reddust
My height is 1.87cm. after 3 month with mid. controls now i set up the fwrds... really comfortable. all aches are finished. u should install frwds.
Wow.....1.87 centimeters tall??? Must be a bit difficult reaching mids, let alone forwards.

Should we assume that you really meant 1.87 meters tall??

Old 11-28-2010, 12:11 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Me, too.

I've had both over the years, and forwards have their place, but they don't belong on a motorcycle that is ridden anywhere but on the interstates.
Though, in my experience, this is exactly backwards for folks with long thighs. Forwards feel like mids, and mids feel like rearsets. If you have long thighs, you can stand up just fine on forwards, you can carve around corners just fine, run around in town just fine... but you just can't do 250-mile-plus days with mids. It's too cramped.

I have mini-apes with my forwards, and that's perfect for my body size, for all kinds of riding. In fact I can easily mix up my leg position for greater comfort on the long haul, by stretching my legs out straight in front of me and resting the bottom of my calf on the forward peg... it's almost like having highway pegs, except when I go around a curve, the heels of my boots drag first. Very comfortable!

I'd lay real money all these people saying "stick with mids" have a butt-to-knee measurement far shorter than mine. So, you want a fair answer? Look at your thighs. They'll tell you, "forward or mid," far more accurately than any number of us on the internet.

Quick Reply: Should I put forwards on my Iron?