Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's see your CREDIT SCORE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Purplesky
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Read these two books (you can buy them now for $10 apiece) and you will have the answers to all your financial questions .........END OF SERMON...soapbox has been dis-assembled.........good luck!
I listen to Dave Ramsey online everyday. He does have a great passion about helping people to get out of debt.

For $10.00 his books are a great buy.

The game-plan he lays out is really simple and if you follow it you will get out of debt and be able to pay cash for a toy like a HD.

He is too political for my taste but as I have gotten older I totally respect everyone's views and try to learn from all.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Purplesky
Tourer

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
When you by a home, they LOVE "cash buyers" because there is no risk of them being unqualified (after taking your home off the market for a few months).

Not near the same buying a bike. They find out in minutes whether you can pull it off.

As far as paying more in the long run because you financed, that is well worth it if your other option is to not ride. You only live once. Riding is a great way to spend your time.

If you have more money and can easily save enough to pay cash, good for you!
Those with more money tend to have many advantages like that.
Not so for everybody.

So easy to tell others, to "do without" while you merrily ride away.
Good post.

Life is short so why not invest in yourself and enjoy the ride while you can.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:03 AM
barrachuck
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Most millionaires today earned their money and practiced sound financial principles to get there. It's called working hard, and saving your money. (no I ain't even close) It works every time. I wish I had known back then what I know now! These books are easy to read and many people that have applied the principles taught in them and have gotten out of debt and are beginning to accumulate wealth. I have nothing to gain by pointing the books out, but I do recommend everybody should at least read them. Sorry about getting on the soapbox again, but this guy's books are worth reading, or you can listen to his radio show. I like money, he has helped me have more. Just trying to pass on a good thing. It's like the old saying, "don't knock it till you've tried it". (I'm now on my second HD, an 08 Ultra I bought new, with cash. I couldn't have done that had I naught listened to ol' Dave and applied the principles he teaches......so yeah, I'm a believer. P.S. Everything I own is paid for and I have no dept, feels really good too. I wish everybody could know the feeling! )
I think thats great...and IM sure you worked hard to get there, and it didnt happen over night. About 10-15 years ago, I was selfemployed, broke my ankle...took a big look around, I owed $100,000..I sat down looked over everything, and in less than 3 years I was dept free. I did without because before I bought things I really didnt need...now the only thing I owe is my lights, phone...normal monthly bills...and it feels good now....less worries...Im saving for my next Harley...(ps-maybe we should work together make a few videos and a few books-sell them.....and become rich!)

Old 11-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by barrachuck
I think thats great...and IM sure you worked hard to get there, and it didnt happen over night. About 10-15 years ago, I was selfemployed, broke my ankle...took a big look around, I owed $100,000..I sat down looked over everything, and in less than 3 years I was dept free. I did without because before I bought things I really didnt need...now the only thing I owe is my lights, phone...normal monthly bills...and it feels good now....less worries...Im saving for my next Harley...(ps-maybe we should work together make a few videos and a few books-sell them.....and become rich!)
How many kids do you have sucking your wallet dry?

I have 4 of them and a wife. I almost have to finance toilet paper.

I don't envision any book is gonna fix my ills.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:15 AM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
I don't believe in financing or paying 'interest' to someone for the privilege of using their money.

Maybe I'm different but I believe in doing business the old fashion way; cash in hand.

Same here. Paid cash for my Sporty, paid insurance in full for the full year. No payments, no interest, makes riding a whole lot sweeter.

Old 11-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,981 Likes on 4,173 Posts
Default Finance

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Many financial experts say that financing vehicles is fine, as long as you spend no more than 6 years per vehicle, at a decent interest rate, and keep the vehicle at least ten years. My brother is a financial analyst, and he finances his vehicles...
Since he's an expert and this advice is free, ask him if it's OK to finance a hobby for 6 years in todays economic uncertainty and get back to us? Someone said life is short and another says they have a wife and 5 kids and they must finance a Harley. Why not buy a Yamaha 1100 V-Star for 1/3 the money, ride it a few years while you save for the Harley and then sell the V-Star and buy the Harley. No one on here worth his salt would look down on you for driving the Yamaha and you would not be putting your responsibilities to you family in peril for 6 years. I realize it's nice to own something as American as a Harley but it cost an arm and leg to own one of these. The only reason I own one is I can work on it and I fixed mine up and yes I did the V-Star getting back into bikes after a very long spell without one.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not buy a Yamaha 1100 V-Star for 1/3 the money, ride it a few years while you save for the Harley and then sell the V-Star and buy the Harley.

Bwahahaha!

Good one!

Old 11-28-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by grf000
Since he's an expert and this advice is free, ask him if it's OK to finance a hobby for 6 years in todays economic uncertainty and get back to us? Someone said life is short and another says they have a wife and 5 kids and they must finance a Harley. Why not buy a Yamaha 1100 V-Star for 1/3 the money, ride it a few years while you save for the Harley and then sell the V-Star and buy the Harley. No one on here worth his salt would look down on you for driving the Yamaha and you would not be putting your responsibilities to you family in peril for 6 years. I realize it's nice to own something as American as a Harley but it cost an arm and leg to own one of these. The only reason I own one is I can work on it and I fixed mine up and yes I did the V-Star getting back into bikes after a very long spell without one.
Your logic escapes me. It's not okay to finance a Harley, but it is okay to finance a Nip bike, and then finance a Harley??? So, instead of 5-6 years of payments for that Harley, you're going to pay for 8, 9, 10 or more years. This makes sense to you? Wow, and people wonder why America is trillions of dollars in debt.

And yes, if you have a stable job, and can easily afford the payments, he has no problem with financing a hobby that maintains a reasonable degree of equity, provided you will keep said equity after the loan is paid. Moreover, not all motorcycles are "hobbies." Many are transportation, and as such, are definitely within the realm of acceptable loans. There are hobbies that are silly to finance, there are hobbies that are okay to finance, there are hobbies that are smart to finance. For instance, he collects steel engravings, which is a great investment!

Old 11-28-2010, 02:36 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
Statistically most millionaires in America inherited their money from parents and grand parents who earned it a long time ago. Technically there are almost 3 million millionaire in the US, but over half of them only reached that status due to inflation over the last 20 years and really not rich as the term implies. and for the last several years, the rate of new millionaires, when adjusting for inflation, has been going down.

I wouldn't know. I was just repeating what I heard Dave Ramsey say. And since I don't know what your background is or where you got your stats from, I won't question them either.

Last edited by mike5511; 11-28-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:40 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Faast Ed
How many kids do you have sucking your wallet dry?

I have 4 of them and a wife. I almost have to finance toilet paper.

I don't envision any book is gonna fix my ills.

You owe it to yourself to at least investigate the idea. Might turn out to be the best thing you ever did.

Quick Reply: Let's see your CREDIT SCORE!