Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's see your CREDIT SCORE!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 07:01 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Visit the local Credit Union, ask them. They can answer you best.

HD always tries to run the ap thru their credit first, but you have to insist that you don't want it. It's always higher rates, and the salesmen (twice) told me "you can borrow a higher amount for more accessories with HD credit". They spread it out longer to give you similar payments.
Imagine paying two extra years because you got accessories. There are those that fall for it.

Local Credit Union. Don't be shy, go ask them.
They WANT to borrow you money, and will happily see if you qualify and answer any questions you have.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah Join a Credit union,,
Ya need to git above 760ish for decent Interest with regular banks.
More often than banks Credit unions need to loan money

Old 11-26-2010, 07:17 PM
hig4s
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not only should you go to a credit union, you go there first, get pre approved for whatever amount you can afford payments for, and then deal like you have cash at the dealership.. When you have them at the right price, you say I will go to the bank and get the money.. Take the deal, with the VIN on it, to the credit union and have them cut a credit union check to the dealer, (pretty much the same as a cashiers check, but free) and they will have you sign the proper paper work for them to lien the title. I've done it on a couple vehicles, works great.

Oh and you realize a 48 is still a Sportster frame, not a lot of room for two up riding.
And a SuperGlide Custom is the same price as a Street Bob, but comes with passenger seat and pegs already.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:23 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
Not only should you go to a credit union, you go there first, get pre approved for whatever amount you can afford payments for, and then deal like you have cash at the dealership.. When you have them at the right price, you say I will go to the bank and get the money.. Take the deal, with the VIN on it, to the credit union and have them cut a credit union check to the dealer, (pretty much the same as a cashiers check, but free) and they will have you sign the proper paper work for them to lien the title. I've done it on a couple vehicles, works great.

Oh and you realize a 48 is still a Sportster frame, not a lot of room for two up riding.
And a SuperGlide Custom is the same price as a Street Bob, but comes with passenger seat and pegs already.
LOL - yeah, dude - I know what a 48 is. HAHA

Old 11-26-2010, 07:23 PM
harlista01
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey dude,

Send me a PM.

I can tell the people in my credit union you are looking for a bike and that you are a fellow user for this site. The rates there if you have a decent score should be between 5% and 9%. You secure your financing and you can go to the dealership and negotiate a cash price. Unless you have a perfect score most likely you will not qualify for anything below 5% at the dealer. And do not go in there trying to negotiate the price without financing. They might lower the price but you will end up paying for it with the interest rates.

If other people are saying you need cash down, well it all depends how much you get pre approved. I had a friend of mine go there and get approved for up to $25k. Me on the other hand I got approved for just $15k. And you and I have about the same credit score which is not that good. I got a rate of 6%. No bs. Before I had the same credit score and a lower loan balance on another bike and I was getting screwed by Harley Financial or whatever you call it. I was paying 12%.

Maximum finance for five years. If you need more time than that to pay it off, for your "payment" to fit your lifestyle then you should really think hard about buying it.

The basic rule is the following:

For every $10,00 you finance for five years (60 months) then you will pay approximately this a month (Key word, APPROXIMATELY):

Financed $10,000
@10.00% = $213 bucks a month
@ 9.00% = $208 bucks a month
@ 8.00% = $203 bucks a month
@ 6.25% = $197 bucks a month
@ 5.00% = $190 bucks a month

Financed $20,000
@10.00% = $425 bucks a month
@ 9.00% = $415bucks a month
@ 8.00% = $405 bucks a month
@ 6.25% = $389 bucks a month
@ 5.00% = $377 bucks a month

Good luck.

Harlista01

P.S. Also, look at the classified section here. My credit union they financed used motorcycles too above a certain amount. You will need the vin number. If I could go back in time, I would buy used/pre owned from a fellow member here.

Last edited by harlista01; 11-26-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Used motorcycles.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:32 PM
hig4s
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
LOL - yeah, dude - I know what a 48 is. HAHA
Yeah, I knew you knew what a 48 is, but I just wanted to make sure you had thought through how much, or little room it has when riding two up.

Also you might be able to find a 2010 Super Glide, even with adding passenger pegs, a rallyrunner two up seat, and slash down mufflers, it should be about $300 less than a 2011 Street Bob. Provided you don't pay the dealer to install the stuff.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:45 PM

I'd just like to be sure you caught onto the general theme here: go to your local credit union first.

Too small? My wife and I are north of 400 lbs (combined! - I'm not that fat), and we fit just fine on my Nightster, nice and cozy. You have to like your wife, and enjoy "snuggling," but if you do, a Sportster is quite comfy. There's actually too much room on my FXD, she doesn't feel secure with that loose of a seating position. It's all about how the two of you like to ride, how long you ride, how much you like each other, etc.

Harlista had some really good advice, too: If you need more than five years to pay off the loan, you can't afford it, except that the financial experts these days have raised it to six years, but the principle remains.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:07 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
I'd just like to be sure you caught onto the general theme here: go to your local credit union first.

Too small? My wife and I are north of 400 lbs (combined! - I'm not that fat), and we fit just fine on my Nightster, nice and cozy. You have to like your wife, and enjoy "snuggling," but if you do, a Sportster is quite comfy. There's actually too much room on my FXD, she doesn't feel secure with that loose of a seating position. It's all about how the two of you like to ride, how long you ride, how much you like each other, etc.

Harlista had some really good advice, too: If you need more than five years to pay off the loan, you can't afford it, except that the financial experts these days have raised it to six years, but the principle remains.
Tek -

As usual, your insight has proven to be most intelligent and note-worthy. I've read all your posts, and yes - I agree, a credit union is the better option. That's what I did for my first bike as well. Thanks a lot for your opinion. You always tell it how it is - Just like I like it. HONEST.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 PM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I didn't see this option--Save your money, invest it, collect the interest then pay cash.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:30 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scottfisher
I didn't see this option--Save your money, invest it, collect the interest then pay cash.

That was kinda the point I was making (post #3).........including a link to "how to get'r done"!

Quick Reply: Let's see your CREDIT SCORE!