Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good first harley/project bike?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Sandmanfvr
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good first harley/project bike?

Happy turkey day, well black Friday at least. Yesterday got some sportster parts given to me by my cousin and I sparked the thought of me doing my own sportster again or at least looking into buying an older really good one. I have knocked around the idea of an ironhead that has been taken good care of and the sorts.

I really like the sportsers and the feel of a small bike. I own a small honda and love the bike but want to add a sportster to the collection. I want something dependable but I am not afraid to do some maintenance on one just not working on it all the time to ride it very little. Would I be better to go ironhead or earlier evo engine? I see great deals around $3k on criagslist and wonder if building one would be to much for me or get a well maintained older sportster that I can modify if I want to. I am not a wrencher so I know my limits in my mechanical abilities. Ay suggestion on a year and model to look for? Thanks.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:56 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For $3K you should be able to get a decent 883 2004-2006. Saw a bunch on ebay recently. But if they are far away you may not wanna go the ebay route.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:37 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of good deals on craigslist as well. Like streetfighter said, for 3k you should be able to get a good, running 883. And now is the time to buy!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:52 PM

I agree with Streetfighter and motordrum. However, I really like ironheads, but that may be due to nostalgia.

I would suggest that you decide what it is you want in a bike. If you want a nostalgia project, then an ironhead is a great idea. If you want a reliable runner, then a (relatively) late-model gently used 883 is your best bet.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:05 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
I agree with Streetfighter and motordrum. However, I really like ironheads, but that may be due to nostalgia.

I would suggest that you decide what it is you want in a bike. If you want a nostalgia project, then an ironhead is a great idea. If you want a reliable runner, then a (relatively) late-model gently used 883 is your best bet.
I was just keeping in mind that the OP didn't mind doing the required maintenance, but didn't want to be working on it constantly to get it/keep it running. I for one would LOVE to have an Ironhead, but the Evo's are pretty much bulletproof if you take care of them. JMO.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by motordrum
I was just keeping in mind that the OP didn't mind doing the required maintenance, but didn't want to be working on it constantly to get it/keep it running. I for one would LOVE to have an Ironhead, but the Evo's are pretty much bulletproof if you take care of them. JMO.
Wow, I should read my stuff back occasionally before submitting it. I can see where you would think I was leading him toward an ironhead. I love them, too. Used to have one, kick myself for selling it. Of course, had I not sold it, I might not like them as much now...

My point was that you should get the bike that best meets your needs, whatever they may be.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Sandmanfvr
1st Gear

Yeah I think I should I should get an evo engine. I want reliability. What are opinions about 883 vs 1200? I want to get a 1200 and know the 883 can upgraded to 1200 but want to get "all I need in the first shot". I currently ride a 600cc and know the 883 will be powerful with screaming eagle and such but is there really enough jump in the 1200 to do that? Should I start at 883? Thanks for suggestions.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:25 AM

The 1200 is a lot more powerful and torquier, and well worth the difference to me.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:26 AM
scottfisher
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No no no....old Iron is the way to go. They are easy to work on, give you something to do all winter, fun to ride, draw looks...esp. an older kicker that fires right up, and gives you pride of doing it yourself.....and when you mention to a stranger that it is a ___(mid-70's and earlier gets the best reactions)yr old bike it will get an 'oooooo' and a second look.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Sandmanfvr
1st Gear

Originally Posted by scottfisher
No no no....old Iron is the way to go. They are easy to work on, give you something to do all winter, fun to ride, draw looks...esp. an older kicker that fires right up, and gives you pride of doing it yourself.....and when you mention to a stranger that it is a ___(mid-70's and earlier gets the best reactions)yr old bike it will get an 'oooooo' and a second look.

Thought this at one time. I mean if I get a well taken care of iron head like this near me :

http://nwga.craigslist.org/mcy/2079405112.html

How do the iron heads ride?

Quick Reply: Good first harley/project bike?