Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD hard leather saddlebags -- how do i get them off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 10:49 PM
jterp
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD hard leather saddlebags -- how do i get them off?

Bought a 2005 1200 Custom just a couple days ago, and the previous owner had the hard leather HD saddle bags on it. I loosened the two nuts inside the bag and was able to get the bag off -- but the big long mounting screws are now sticking out and I can't get them out. The one toward the front hits the tire when I try to take it out -- the one toward the back doesn't move at all. Any info is apprciated.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:36 AM
eggroll
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HD hard leather saddlebags -- how do i get them off?

Do the mounting bolts have nuts on the inside fender, or are they standard bolts? Is the unmovable one threaded directly into the fender? Was this a "custom job"? You might need to hacksaw them off. Send a pic, or more info.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:05 AM
jterp
Tourer

The bags and mounting harware are HD -- and were installed by the dealer. Inside the fender is the head of the bolt. The bolts need to be tightened to hold the chrome trim piece on. The saddlebags have two holes in them that slip over the exposed ends of the bolts, then they are held on with nuts. . With the bags off, the long bolts look like hell. I can't get the bolts on because they hit the tire when I try to slide them out.

Pics attached -- one with the backrest on, one with it off.

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-25-2006, 03:36 AM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1 of two things.... Jack up the bike and see if you can get the back wheel to drop down to where you can slide the bolts out, or you will have to remove the rear wheel to take the bolts off. Either that or cut the bolts off and put acorn nuts on them. Not good for resale in my book. I would be surprised if these weren't double threaded bolts with a locknut on the inside. Simular to the way tail lights are bolted on. Have you tried grabbing the bolt with some vice grips and using an open ended wrench on the bolt head between the fender and the tire? To see if it's a nut and not a bolt head after all?

Old 09-25-2006, 04:08 AM
jterp
Tourer

It's definately a bolt -- I can see it. The front one slides freely with the nut off - I can push it back until there is about a half inch of thread sticking out, then it hits the tire. The rear one will spin, but will not slide -- but it may just be binded up on the mounting bar.. Jacking it up doesn't free it -- I may have to take the tire off or unbolt the shocks -- which would be a pita because I would like to be able to put the saddle bags on when I need them (not often though)

Old 09-25-2006, 04:28 AM
GothMetalGuitarist
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can get them off, would they mount backwards? Bolt head inside the bag? Just wondering if someone put them together and ran the bolts to the wrong side. It's not like HD to make a product that you would need to take the wheel off or unbolt the shocks and jack the bike to take on and off.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:41 AM
jterp
Tourer

No, they couldn't mount backwards because the mounting holes in the bags have to slip over the ends of the bolts.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:38 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If the issue it that the bolt is too long to slide out without hitting the tire, what about cutting the bolt with a hacksaw to make it shorter. Then you won't have to slide it as far back to get clearance to remove it? I'm I missing something here?

Old 09-25-2006, 03:16 PM
jterp
Tourer

Well, yes I guess I could cut the bolts -- but then I could never use the saddlebags again. I would like to keep the parts in tact. The bolt went in -- so there has to be a way to get it out -- I just can't see a way to do it without removing the shocks.

Old 09-25-2006, 07:51 PM
olesalt
Tourer

To install mine I had to use a scissors jack to raise the bike and remove the top shock bolts (T-50 Torx) and let the wheel drop. When the bolts are out, lower the jack and the shocks will return to their original position...rebolt.

Olesalt

Quick Reply: HD hard leather saddlebags -- how do i get them off?