Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Performance

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010 | 11:39 AM
HBRHMR
|
Cruiser
Default Exhaust Performance

Before anyone flames me for another exhaust thread, let me preface by saying I have read through a large amount of the 10 pages of threads that result from an "exhaust" title search in the forums.

On that note, almost everything I found was an opinion and I prefer numbers.

I am purchasing an 883 within the next month or two with the intention of eventually converting it up to a 1200 or 1250. I am most likely going with an Arlen Ness Derby Sucker and I will also be getting a tuner though I'm not sure which yet. As I am relatively new to the riding world I welcome and value everyone's input as long as it is supported by some sort of evidence.

I'm looking for an exhaust that is loud (not obnoxious) and deep that performs. Price is not an issue.

After 10 pages, I have read multiple people saying that (insert brand here) is the best. The only real consensus I feel I've come across is that I should go with a 2:1 for performance. I want to have real good take off/torque from a stop. At the high end as long as I can cruise comfortably without over-revving I will be straight; I don't plan on hitting the triple digits as I've heard some people doing.

Does anyone have, or can point me in the direction of before/after dyno curves of a sporty with a new exhaust or information from manufacturers about the gains I should expect before I start calling each one of them?

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2010 | 12:05 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member

Since Harley does not necessarily release horsepower numbers that I know of, that might be a hard thing to find out unless someone just happened to dyno before and after jsut to see their gains. Usually dynoing is done to tune the bike or to find out how much power they have already made after the improvements.
As far as sound, I personally like the Vance and Hines Short Shots. They have interchangable baffles that allow you to tune the performance as well as the sound of the pipes. They are a 2:2 system though, but I personally think that setup looks better on a Nightster/48/Iron setup anyway, and performance is probably extremely close to that of a good 2:1 system anyway.

Old 11-23-2010 | 12:21 PM
HBRHMR
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TennesseeMustangPerf
Since Harley does not necessarily release horsepower numbers that I know of, that might be a hard thing to find out unless someone just happened to dyno before and after jsut to see their gains. Usually dynoing is done to tune the bike or to find out how much power they have already made after the improvements.
As far as sound, I personally like the Vance and Hines Short Shots. They have interchangable baffles that allow you to tune the performance as well as the sound of the pipes. They are a 2:2 system though, but I personally think that setup looks better on a Nightster/48/Iron setup anyway, and performance is probably extremely close to that of a good 2:1 system anyway.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping to find; an owner or manufacturer who ran a dyno pre and post exhaust change. It doesn't make much sense to me to see performance gains if you don't know where you started.

I have heard an overwhelming amount of support for the short shots, I love the look, and that was originally what I was going to go with. However, I've also heard a lot of people saying you sacrifice some low end torque for top speed. It's also hard to tell through the countless videos I've watched whether it's a tinny sound or more of the deep rumble I'm looking for. I also read that the V&H Comp Series 2:1 was about double the performance increase as the short shots if I remember correctly, but I haven't seen too many people with these probably because of the price tag.

Old 11-23-2010 | 01:14 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

Too many variables involved. You won't find any reliable data.

I have the Samson Caliber 2-1 and have gotten 94/80 dyno numbers. I don't think I would have gotten drastically different numbers with another brand 2-1 pipe. Decide on your engine work plan and then just get the 2-1 pipe of your choice. It's not like you'll have a ton to choose from. The headwork and cam selection will be your most important. Is the bike carb or FI?

Old 11-23-2010 | 01:53 PM
HBRHMR
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Terp84Alum
Too many variables involved. You won't find any reliable data.

I have the Samson Caliber 2-1 and have gotten 94/80 dyno numbers. I don't think I would have gotten drastically different numbers with another brand 2-1 pipe. Decide on your engine work plan and then just get the 2-1 pipe of your choice. It's not like you'll have a ton to choose from. The headwork and cam selection will be your most important. Is the bike carb or FI?
I haven't really been researching the engine work as I don't plan on doing that piece until next summer and I want to have enough funds set aside to do it right. However, I do plan on changing the cleaner, exhaust, and adding a tuner before I even hop on it so I was just trying to figure out which exhaust had numbers to support it as the best performance boost up front.

I'm getting a new Iron, so FI.

So you recommend whatever 2-1 looks/sounds the best and the performance won't be significantly different? My only question in that case would be does the length of the V&H Comp Series compared to all of the other 2-1's make any difference?

Right now I'm looking at the V&H, D&D, Samson, and RB Racing, so you're right...not many choices.

Old 11-23-2010 | 02:28 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

I pretty much believe that of the 4 you're looking at, the performance differences will be insignificant. They are all good pipes. Again, your conversion will be the most important. I definitely recommend that you go with 1200 heads versus reworking the 883 heads. There are a couple of places that have decent 883-1200 kits. I may be in the minority but I favor the 1200 over the 1250. Back to the pipes; if you plan to switch from mid-controls to forwards, make sure the pipes fit both. I don't think many do.

Old 11-23-2010 | 02:36 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Another vote for V&H Short Shots - put them on my 05 XL1200C & they were good looking, increased performance & awesome sound. Can't go wrong w/any V&H product...good luck w/the scoot & exhaust.

Old 11-23-2010 | 03:50 PM
Osco
Account Deactivated
Old 11-23-2010 | 06:29 PM
scumbucket
Advanced

I was back and forth for two months about exhaust. I got a D&D bobcat. very very good workmanship. I don't have it on yet. Can't decide on a tuner. I might wait on the new vision.

Old 11-25-2010 | 10:58 AM
camcarvin82
Cruiser

Two words, thunder header

Quick Reply: Exhaust Performance