Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to change tranmission oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006 | 01:59 PM
LANA
|
Stage II
Default how to change tranmission oil

I just bought my '98 Sportster 883. I bought it used, so I did not get any owner manual. I found on line a good description on how to change the engine oil (with pictures) so I know what is where. But I can not seem to find any detailed information on changing the transmission oil. I do not know where to look for the drain plug or the filler cap and level inspection dip stick. Anyone have any pictures or drawungs that can help me out here?

Old 09-23-2006 | 02:02 PM
anubisss
Banned
Default RE: how to change tranmission oil

I'll be the first to recommend a Harley service manual from the dealer. About the best $60 you will spend.

Old 09-23-2006 | 03:46 PM
SimonW
Advanced

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I'll be the first to recommend a Harley service manual from the dealer. About the best $60 you will spend.
Anubisss is right, you will get the step-by-step instructions, pictures/drawings etc. for nearly all maintenance procedures
from a decent manual. (Not the factory manual) I can recommend the one by Clymer.
The oil level is checked by removing the Clutch inspection cover. The tranny oil is also filled through the inspection hole behind the cover.
The drain plug (should be 3/4") is located beneath the clutch inspection cover. Anyway, buy the manual and read it carefully before doing anything.
Then you can be sure to get objective instructions.

Old 09-23-2006 | 04:10 PM
ronn39
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SimonW

Anubisss is right, you will get the step-by-step instructions, pictures/drawings etc. for nearly all maintenance procedures
from a decent manual. (Not the factory manual) I can recommend the one by Clymer.
The oil level is checked by removing the Clutch inspection cover. The tranny oil is also filled through the inspection hole behind the cover.
The drain plug (should be 3/4") is located beneath the clutch inspection cover. Anyway, buy the manual and read it carefully before doing anything.
Absolutely the Service Manual is worth it's weight in gold. I just replaced the calipers (more chrome!!) on my '04 and I'd have never figured out that rear brake without themanual. Not sure I agree with you on the Clymer stuff though, Simon. I've tried to use their books and they're awfully generic. They often cover a number of years and can get rather confusing with the changes. The factory manual is tops -- just my opinion.

Old 09-23-2006 | 04:54 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member

I also prefer the HD service manual over the others. At least if you follow their manual, and still screw something up, you have somewhat of an arguement about the warranty. Maybe not a good arguement, but better than using directions from another manual.

Old 09-23-2006 | 05:14 PM
SimonW
Advanced

ORIGINAL: ronn39

ORIGINAL: SimonW

Absolutely the Service Manual is worth it's weight in gold. I just replaced the calipers (more chrome!!) on my '04 and I'd have never figured out that rear brake without themanual. Not sure I agree with you on the Clymer stuff though, Simon. I've tried to use their books and they're awfully generic. They often cover a number of years and can get rather confusing with the changes. The factory manual is tops -- just my opinion.
You may probably be right, ronn39. I've only got experience of the Clymer manuals and they have worked for me (note that I'm not an experienced HD mechanic)
What manual are you using, if I may ask? Curious to know if I can broaden my view..

Old 09-23-2006 | 05:41 PM
LANA
|
Stage II

Thank you for your help. Since everyone agrees, that I should invest in a manual, I think that will be my next step.
Thanks again for all of your replys.