Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes/intake questions, noobie here

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:17 AM
silverado_mick
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pipes/intake questions, noobie here

Every time I find a thread addressing re-mapping the bike for pipes and an intake it always confuses the hell out of me with talk of air/fuel ratios and technical jargon...I'm lost!

Can anyone answer a couple simple questions for me?

I'm ordering sideshots and a joker machine intake over the winter...do I need a power commander/sport tuner as well?

I'm relatively handy, but new to Harley (obviously, ha!), will I be able to install either the pipes, intake, or both myself and just have the dealership do the remap?

If it does need re-mapped, is there a way around blowing another $300 on a tuner, or is that essential? I plan on leaving it alone once I get it the way I want it, so re-remapping isn't an issue (or is it)?

Thanks guys.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:51 PM

No, you don't "need" a power commander. You probably should, however, get X14iEDs. They're only ~$100.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:07 PM
giarc1234
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would get some type of tuner, I have the power commander and like it a lot. Fuel Moto is a great place for the Power commander.

would put these in those pipes as well.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...fCatId=&mmyId=

That is just my .02

Old 11-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Blaven48
Road Captain

I had just pipes running for a bit with no tuner. And although it seemed to run fine I was getting a lot of decel popping. It was cool for a little while but I ended up getting the fuel pak from V&H and that took care of almost all of the popping. So It's really up to you if you want to get one or not as you will find mixed responses in whether they are essential or just needed if you want one.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 PM
TennesseeMustangPerf
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I understand, an exhaust does not require a tuner or fuel pak. Neither does a filter. It is when you run both that you will need a fuel pak or tuner to safely run the setup. This is just word of mouth, though. I am new to EFI Harleys, myself.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaven48
I had just pipes running for a bit with no tuner. And although it seemed to run fine I was getting a lot of decel popping. It was cool for a little while but I ended up getting the fuel pak from V&H and that took care of almost all of the popping. So It's really up to you if you want to get one or not as you will find mixed responses in whether they are essential or just needed if you want one.
Truthfully, this is the type of response that confuses some people. The original poster stated very clearly that he was getting pipes AND an A/C upgrade. But, your response totally ignored the A/C part, and basically said it was OK to go without a fuel managment system. That is poor information. Sure, it's up to him if he wants to burn holes in his pistons or not, but it's not very smart.

If someone is getting mixed responses about needing a fuel management system for pipes AND A/C, then you are getting responses from people who have a clue....and from idiots. You decide who you want to listen to.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:04 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by kahaone
Truthfully, this is the type of response that confuses some people. The original poster stated very clearly that he was getting pipes AND an A/C upgrade. But, your response totally ignored the A/C part, and basically said it was OK to go without a fuel managment system. That is poor information. Sure, it's up to him if he wants to burn holes in his pistons or not, but it's not very smart.

If someone is getting mixed responses about needing a fuel management system for pipes AND A/C, then you are getting responses from people who have a clue....and from idiots. You decide who you want to listen to.
+1 - and forget about having a dealer "remap" the existing ECM, it does nothing for the A/F ratio. Do it right the first time and get a good tuner module.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by kahaone

So, apparently, Stephen Mullen and all of his engineers are idiots, as is HD? You see, Harley Davidson and Nightrider both state that a tuner is NOT needed when changing exhaust and/or air cleaner. It's simple fear-mongering to say that you will burn holes in your pistons if you don't get a tuner. The stock FI will maintain 14.6:1 AFR with upgraded exhaust and A/C. Yes, that's pretty lean, but millions of stock HDs survive just fine with that ratio, so it isn't excessively lean, nor is it problematic to run that way. There are obvious benefits to running slightly richer, true, but you will NOT harm your engine to run at 14.6:1.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 PM
fkaluddite
Cruiser

i also posted a similar question. i just installed a heavy breather on my '09 883 custom.

spoke with the guy at bruce rossmeyer in ormond beach this afternoon before buying it. he said that with the '09 sportster efi engine the ac and exhaust ( i have cycle shack slip ons) can be run without any remapping. he said if the bike did run crappy to take it in and have it remapped, but he didn't think it would be necessary. seems to fall in line with the nightrider folks.

i've only ridden it around the block, so i've got no real report, other than it started right up, sounds good, looks cool as ***** and was a piece of cake to install.

i'm going to order the x14ied to install in an abundance of caution, but i don't think i'll be dropping the $ at h-d.

pictures to come. oh, and i just got a custom paint job on the tank. bike looks great. so good, i don't think i'm going to put the apes on i've been wanting.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:56 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its also a safety issue...
changed my pipes and sucker and rode for a week or so. usually it ran fine. but every once in awhile, just outta nowhere, it would hesitate. i realized that if i was ever in a situation where i jumped on the right hand to get outta the way and the bike decided it was a hesitate moment, i had a safety issue.
my very strong experience advice is to get a tuner on that bike. i am running with a tfi techlusion controller. very simple, inexpensive and it works. never any hesitation, and i run my engine temps below 200 no matter what i am doing.
for the cost of this thing, and being able to get the performance out of the engine, why would i cheap out on the safety question?
yes, its an opinion...

Quick Reply: Pipes/intake questions, noobie here