Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Install Clip Ons on 2010 Iron

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:07 AM
onebagger15
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnFromBrooklyn
Thanks guys! I did pick up the manual (you can actually download it for 6 bucks instead of buying it for $60) so I have all of the torque specs. Hopefully I'll post some pics tomorrow and let you know how it went. I would have ended up taking the bike apart just to install them if I didnt ask here first lol
Where did you get the pdf version from?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:13 AM
JohnFromBrooklyn
Advanced

2010 Sportster Manual PDF Download - $5.99 http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...e-manual-xl-xr Thanks again for the tips guys, I'm starting the project now. Should have pics tonight.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:17 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnFromBrooklyn
2010 Sportster Manual PDF Download - $5.99 http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.p...e-manual-xl-xr Thanks again for the tips guys, I'm starting the project now. Should have pics tonight.
Can't wait to see pics!!

Old 11-21-2010, 02:45 PM
JohnFromBrooklyn
Advanced

Pictures today might have been a little ambitious

Thanks to the advice here the clip ons went on in a snap. I had a friend of mine give me a hand (hats off to anyone who did this alone). Loosened the pinch bolts, raised the bike on the lift with the front tire on and the forks slid right out. Put the clips on, had him hold the forks in line and lowered the bike to get the forks back in place. Took 5 minutes. Thought I was home free

The problem came when I tried transferring the stock controls to the clips. The front brake line (running to the steel mounted line) is way too tight and the clips dont have indents for the stock wiring. So I'm going to assume anyone running these clips changed the front brake cable and wired the stock controls internally??

Can anyone recommend how to mount the stock brake line or point me to one I can buy?

Old 11-21-2010, 03:42 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

John - Bite the bullet and do internal wiring - like I recommended in an early post. Otherwise you will just end up with problems down the road like I did if you try taking a shortcut.

As for the brake line - yes, it's very tight! It will stretch to accomodate the bars IF they hug the bottom of the TOP tree. I ran mine like that for a while with no issues.

Here is the link to a thread I made a few weeks ago when I decided to SLAM my bars. The brake hose was an issue, so I disconnected it at the top tree, bent the brake line with a tubing bender and re-routed my line up the right fork tube. Or you could buy a new line, I guess. I like 'making' rather than 'buying'. Read on....

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...headlight.html

Old 11-25-2010, 03:48 PM
JohnFromBrooklyn
Advanced

Well I ended up scrapping the cheap ebay clip ons I started out with and went with RSD Clip Ons. The difference in quality is night and day. They were easier to install as well since they have dimples for the wiring.

I cant figure out how you guys get the front brake line to fit. Mine isn't tight, it's just WAY to short to even attempt screwing it into place. So I'm gonna tie the line up and bring it to a bike mechanic I know to install a new front brake line.

The clip ons look GREAT, only problem is now the speedo looks horrible up there in the middle of nowhere. The dummy lights for the RSD mount will be available on the 8th, so in a couple of weeks this project should be finished.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Attached Thumbnails How to Install Clip Ons on 2010 Iron-2.jpg   How to Install Clip Ons on 2010 Iron-3.jpg   How to Install Clip Ons on 2010 Iron-4.jpg   How to Install Clip Ons on 2010 Iron-1.jpg  

Last edited by JohnFromBrooklyn; 11-25-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:46 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member

Did you NOT read my posts?

Old 11-25-2010, 09:26 PM
JohnFromBrooklyn
Advanced

I did, but I really don't like the look of the bent brake line, and wiring the handlebars internally was more trouble then it was worth. If I get another set of bars down the line I may not want them wired that way and would have to redo all the lines again. Compared to the RSD clips the ebay ones felt like a joke. Plus they are already power coated black matching the top tree, looks great. Painting the ebay clips would have just chipped over time and looked like crap. Install of RSD's was a snap.

Last edited by JohnFromBrooklyn; 11-25-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:42 PM
8SKIN8
5th Gear

JohnFromBrooklyn
So you used the Roland Sands but you didn't internal wire the controls? Can you explain, what you did do?

streetfighter06
Got any pictures of the process you went through to internal wire your controls?

Old 07-12-2012, 02:29 PM
grancuda
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 8SKIN8
JohnFromBrooklyn
So you used the Roland Sands but you didn't internal wire the controls? Can you explain, what you did do?
Roland Sands clip-ons are solid aluminium, not hollow, with milled out spots for the wires to pass by the housings.

Quick Reply: How to Install Clip Ons on 2010 Iron