Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough Clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:53 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tough Clutch!

So, I'm trying to "fix" the clutch on a 2009 Nightster. It's not too bad, but if I'm riding around town for long with extensive use of the clutch, my hand gets sore. So, I've found something similar to the MRC easy clutch. It is a ball-bearing and ramp design meant to replace the stock under the derby cover. Supposedly, it's supposed to reduce clutch effort by 40%. I think that may help.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Or, any other recommendations?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

I put that type of kit in my 02 and am happy with it. Mine was a Drag Specialties one that I believe was made in Germany.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:10 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by Terp84Alum
I put that type of kit in my 02 and am happy with it. Mine was a Drag Specialties one that I believe was made in Germany.
That's exactly the one I'm looking at. Just can't remember the brand name.

How was the difference in feel?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:56 PM
m3apx
Cruiser

Before you spend $, check the position of your clutch lever. I was taking the Exp MSF course early this summer, embarrassed myself by dropping the bike at very slow speed (it was raining hard the entire day), broke the license plate mount (a Nightster), and also loosened up the clutch lever (it rotated slightly). I always had difficulty depressing the clutch in heavy, stop/go traffic. I tightened up the clutch lever, knowing it was rotated a bit higher, and immediately realized that the clutch was much easier to depress. I ended up rotating the break lever in the same manner. So, there was a silver lining to the drop (not counting the $200+ and 4 hrs it took me to replace the license plate mount......).

Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Would you mind elaborating on how to adjust it? I don't have a service manual (I know...SHAME), so any assistance would be appreciated. The HD mechanics said nothing else could be done...but, they do things spec and by-the-book. So, this method may have been overlooked.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:42 PM
giarc1234
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he means the clutch lever and control position on the bars. if you rotate them you could get a better grip on the lever and make it easier to pull.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 PM
m3apx
Cruiser

giarc1234 is correct. It's simple. Two allen head screws hold the clutch lever assembly to the bars. Loosen them up, twist the lever up slightly and re-tighten. 60 seconds.......it may make a difference. Sorry if my post wasn't clear.......

Old 11-18-2010, 10:24 PM
DocJ
Road Master

OOOH! Okay. No, I don't need a new angle on them. That's already been done, for comfort's sake. However, the pull itself is quite rigid. It's like pulling the force it takes to open a new jar of pickles every time you use the clutch. It's horrid!

I don't know why it is so difficult. My Cross-Bones is easy and I can use it all day long. Still, the Harley store insists this is normal for a Nightster...ugh. Maybe it is. A few of the other Nightsters at this store are as difficult, but a few others have been easy. Maybe the easier ones had the easy clutch installed?

Old 11-19-2010, 05:40 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

The BTs come from the factory with an upgraded ramp system. That's why your Crossbones is easier. Everyone is different and you impression may differ but I'm happy with the results. I don't know if HD changed the clutch design over the 9 year difference but if they did, you would hope it would be for the better. I'm also running the SE clutch kit.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I posyed this on another Sportster clutch thread. This thing is both cheap and effective. The clutch was so much lighter my wife had to spend some time learning the feel of it again.

I was looking at the kits a while back to lighten up my wife's clutch pull on her Sportster. The big name kits were expensive and a member here recommended a kit I had seen on Ebay for $35 or so. I bought it and it turned out to be even better quality than it looked like in the auction pics. Came with great, model specific instructions, with pictures and took just a few minutes to put on.

Her clutch is now really light - lighter than a nice one on a big twin (which are already much lighter than Sportsters.

Here is a current auction - notice the positive feedback the guy has from buyers. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sport...Q5fAccessories

Put that on and adjust the lever a little closer to the grip and you'll be riding a lot easier.

Quick Reply: Tough Clutch!