Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tough Clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:03 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SE clutch kit? Does that make it harder or easier?

If there is anything else I can do besides the ball and ramp method, someone please chime in! I'm about to the point of just getting rid of it as the clutch simply makes the bike unenjoyable.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:06 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by brenn
I posyed this on another Sportster clutch thread. This thing is both cheap and effective. The clutch was so much lighter my wife had to spend some time learning the feel of it again.

I was looking at the kits a while back to lighten up my wife's clutch pull on her Sportster. The big name kits were expensive and a member here recommended a kit I had seen on Ebay for $35 or so. I bought it and it turned out to be even better quality than it looked like in the auction pics. Came with great, model specific instructions, with pictures and took just a few minutes to put on.

Her clutch is now really light - lighter than a nice one on a big twin (which are already much lighter than Sportsters.

Here is a current auction - notice the positive feedback the guy has from buyers. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sport...Q5fAccessories

Put that on and adjust the lever a little closer to the grip and you'll be riding a lot easier.
WOW!!! That thing is a LOT less expensive than the ball & ramp system I was looking at. Amazing. I was having a heck of a time trying to find one that would work with a 2009 Sportster. Seems most of them out there are for the 1994 or older.

Thanks!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:33 PM
chappy99
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Brenn,i'll have one of those

Old 11-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

If your clutch is so hard that you'd consider getting rid of the bike then I would suspect something is wrong. Do research on the eBay thing as I believe a lot of folks have had less than positive results although it sounds like it worked out for brenn. In the end, perhaps a Sportster is not for you. Even before I put the ramp kit on my bike, it wasn't that bad.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:02 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Terp, I've had a Sportster before. An 883, and loved it. I don't recall the clutch being any harder on it than it currently is on my softail. Maybe something is wrong, but how would I know? I've taken it in to have the Harley mechanics inspect it 4 separate times.

I guess I almost wonder if they are doing something wrong themselves? For instance, after I got it back from the 1000 mile service, they had lubed the clutch cable with some grease. After that, I couldn't even pull the clutch in! So, they blew out the grease and now it's back to being "squeezable". The Harley store is the only place that works on Harleys around here, so as far as getting a second opinion...

Maybe you're right. Perhaps a 1200 is not for me. It's for young, buff dudes that work out in the gym everyday. Maybe I should go back to the 883. It was fun...I miss that. (My softail is a load of fun...but I was hoping for another sort of fun with the Sporty...ugh)

I'm going to try the ramp system first. If that doesn't solve the problem, it's out of here. I'd still be more than willing to try other methods if there are any. I love the bike, but riding it is a major pain.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:10 PM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

The should not have put grease in your cable. It sounds like they messed it up. There is specific cable cleaners and lube. Is your bike still under warranty? At this point, you may want to replace the cable. I think they are less than $50 and fairly easy to do. Just remember that the part that screws into the primary is very fragile and if you try to muscle it tight with wrench, it will break. Don't ask me how I know.

Where are you located?

Old 11-19-2010, 09:09 PM
DocJ
Road Master

Well, it felt the same prior to the grease. So, I'm not sure. If you think a new cable would help, I'll give it a shot. Right now, I'm desperate.

I'm located in Joplin, MO.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:07 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chappy99
Thanks Brenn,i'll have one of those
When it was recommended to me, I thought "worth a try for that price." My wife has ridden several hundred miles with it now and it's working great. Best thing I ever got for a Harley for $34.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:31 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Terp84Alum
The should not have put grease in your cable. It sounds like they messed it up. There is specific cable cleaners and lube. Is your bike still under warranty? At this point, you may want to replace the cable. I think they are less than $50 and fairly easy to do. Just remember that the part that screws into the primary is very fragile and if you try to muscle it tight with wrench, it will break. Don't ask me how I know.

Where are you located?
+1 - Never grease or oil a cable, it's a dirt magnet and turns gummy.
The best product for lubing cables IMO, is called Dri-Slide. It's available in most sporting goods stores that sell firearms or on the internet. Dri-Slide is commonly used as a firearm lube.

At this point, I'd suggest buying a new cable first, and then go with the EZ-Pull if necessary.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:52 AM
Terp84Alum
Road Master

I'd probably go back down and talk to the dealer again. Is it too cold to ride down now? I bet they have another 09 Nightster that you could compare to.

Next, I would remove the inspection cover and have someone operate the clutch while you observe the movement. Check to see if it is binding in any way. If not, I would probably remove the cable. Once it's disconnected, you'll be able to see if the cable moves freely (I mean freely). If not, that's your problem. Remember the warning about the threaded end into the primary. It's very fragile, thread it in by hand and then put a wrench to tighten it just a hair-no more.

Like I said, the BT's have the better ramp. The ramp I put on my bike helped but it's not like it fixed a problem. It's easier but not like "wow, this is like squeezing nothing" easier. In the end, I think you have an issue that's not normal and can be fixed. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Tough Clutch!