Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster is entry level budget bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:10 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
??? The Sportster is not a sport bike. It's a standard, if anything, but no where near a sportbike. There's no way you can compare any Sportster to a CBR, ZX, or R1/R6.
Thank God. That's why you don't have to dress like this to ride a Sportster:

Old 11-22-2010, 10:24 AM
WildThang
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
Some people forget that Japan started the fight. It seems politically correct to forget about Pearl Harbor. And after we won the war, we stepped in and helped rebuild Japan and let them keep their freedom (Which, by the way, was unheard of in most wars. Usually the loser lost their autonomy and freedom and became part of the winners property.)
Boy did this thread take a sharp turn...

Old 11-22-2010, 10:44 AM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Just googled entry level harley and got lots of articles refering to sportsters as entry level bikes.

Why is it that sportster riders always have to defend their choice of bikes.

It's just like being gay, just come out of the closet and admit that you just prefer a sporty ride.

Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 PM
bmahon
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love my 2008 Roadster XL1200R!!

Girl bike! Beginner bike! No! It's a Harley Davidson!! I love all the Harley models. I have ridden the big Harleys as well as my Sportster. All were great rides. I prefer my Sportster because it is lighter, quicker, and fits me perfectly. My Brother likes his Roadglide, his wife likes her Roadking!! Let's enjoy riding our Harleys! , I have had a Honda, Triumph, Suzuki, Kawasaki, BSA . These were fun bikes, but none compare to the look, ride and sound of any Harley Davidson. I have put at least $2500 of upgrades on my Roadster and it looks just as cool as any of the big HDs. I do not want a big Harley but that is my choice. Too bad that some of the guys with the bigger HDs don't like the Sportsters and make fun of those that have them. At least the Sportster guys have HDs and don't care what others think! Right! I just know that if you have any Harley Davidson to ride you are a very lucky man or women. They are the cream of the crop when it comes to motorcycles!!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:02 AM
schwingding
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To be honest, the whole reason I bought my sporty was BECAUSE I viewed it as an entry level, budget Harley. I was unsure of exactly how much I was going to enjoy riding, and did not want to spend the really big bucks on a more substantial bike until I knew if riding was for me. As it turned out, I bought the perfect bike for me, and put 6,000 miles on it in 6 months.It has been the perfect platform for me to customize, and it truly has its own personality now, for less than it would have cost to get a stock big twin. For a little guy like me (65", 140lbs), the Sporty is perfect, and my big twin brethren eat my dust, especially on back roads. I LOVE waiting up at stop signs for them.

Now that I know a little more, I've got a VROD on the way. But for my local trips, it is that sporty that is going to get the miles, and the attention.

Budget, beginner bike - you bet, that's why I love it.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmahon
At least the Sportster guys have HDs and don't care what others think! Right!
If that were true, then we wouldn't need to put up with these idiotic threads.

And then, after they finally go away, someone sticks their arm way down the toilet and pulls them back up!

Many of the Sportster riders seem to be the most insecure folks around.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmahon
Girl bike! Beginner bike! No! It's a Harley Davidson:
You have nothing better to do than search back 2 months to resurrect this pointless thread?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:57 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well they are the lowest priced HD's new so in a way they are a budget bike, but I don't look at them that way. I love how they look and ride. I have two of them and if I sold them I could have a nice big twin, but why? I love my bikes and the big twins are not going to give me the fun ride that my bikes do. Someone will always have something to say about any vehicle no matter what the price is so don't sweet it.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:55 AM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are way cheaper entry level bikes than a Sportster.

FYI, DO you know who started the Japanese making autos? Henry Ford in 1929. He set the worlds record for selling cars in 1930.

Where did the Russians, Chinese, and Japanese get their first motorcycles to copy?

Harley Davidson

They still make them in China. Heck they imported them here a few years back.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:00 PM
hig4s
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
There are way cheaper entry level bikes than a Sportster.

FYI, DO you know who started the Japanese making autos? Henry Ford in 1929. He set the worlds record for selling cars in 1930.

Where did the Russians, Chinese, and Japanese get their first motorcycles to copy?

Harley Davidson

They still make them in China. Heck they imported them here a few years back.
Royal Enfield started selling motorcycles in 1901 as did Indian.. Triumph started producing motorcycles in 1902. Harley Davidson and Husqvarna started producing motorcycles in 1903.
The first Hondas were vertical singles and twins copying Triumph. The first Yamahas were 2-stroke singles coping Husqvarna and DKW. The first Urals (Russian) and the first Chang Jiang (Chinese) were copies of BMW motorcycles.

Quick Reply: Sportster is entry level budget bike