Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster is entry level budget bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 03:53 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlumsurfer
I like the bike as well, just don't like the reason they named it that.

I've spent half my life in Japan and it just kinda gives off racist undertones!
??? Racist?

And what was the so called "reason" you're referring to?" Fat tank? Fat front wheel?

Old 11-18-2010, 04:02 PM
1200Cdriver
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So far we've talked all around a universal truth, it doesn't matter how much or how little we pay for a bike it quiclky becomes a "project bike". I ride with 35 guys including the Preacher at the Church I attend and every bike in our group has $1,000s of dollars in after market equipment on it. Even two GoldWing riders who are 2 years and 3 years older than I am, I'm 68, have many add ons. My bike is a 2007 1200C that was $10,100 out the door has a PCIII, Dundowner seat, clip on shield, sissy bar, LazyRider bag, Progressive suspension on both ends. My next purchase will be the 50 State SE mufflers and Dunop Elites. I'm at 14,700 miles.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:13 PM
chappy99
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the sportster is a icon,the same as Bob Dylan

Old 11-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Night
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Entry Level? Is that why my neighbor is wanting to sell his Dyna and buy a Sporster? For the back roads we ride my Nightster will burn the corners with more ease than his Dyna. And for the most part I can hold my own in starts off the stop signs and lights and in the home stretches.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 PM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
??? Racist?

And what was the so called "reason" you're referring to?" Fat tank? Fat front wheel?
Racist undertones really.........from what I was told (and I could be mistaken, but the evidence seems to point to a reality.) Here is an excerpt of an article I was sent, however Harley desing team has stated this is false:

The rumor

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">According to some, "Fat Boy" is the alleged combination of "Little Boy" and "Fat Man," names of the atomic bombs dropped by United States on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945, bringing an end to World War II. Background

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">The Fat Boy came to market in an era when Harley-Davidson faced stiff competition from Japanese rivals. Patriotism ran high among loyal Harley owners. The Fat Boys' retro style satisfied a growing taste for nostalgic motorcycle design.

(Pretty much Harleys plan was to "Bomb" the competition)
Details

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">Believers of the bomb story point to the appearance of the first Fat Boy---medium-gray gas tank and fenders, school-bus-yellow trim and a winged logo suggesting a pilot's insignia. The Enola Gay, a B29 bomber that dropped Little Boy on Hiroshima, was a silver plane with yellow tips on its black propellers. As well as the wheels being of aircraft appearance.

Like I said it could be BS, but kinda all links up!
Still love the bike though!!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:29 PM
tandt
Cruiser

Racist undertones really.........from what I was told (and I could be mistaken, but the evidence seems to point to a reality.) Here is an excerpt of an article I was sent, however Harley desing team has stated this is false:

The rumor

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">According to some, "Fat Boy" is the alleged combination of "Little Boy" and "Fat Man," names of the atomic bombs dropped by United States on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in August 1945, bringing an end to World War II. Background

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">The Fat Boy came to market in an era when Harley-Davidson faced stiff competition from Japanese rivals. Patriotism ran high among loyal Harley owners. The Fat Boys' retro style satisfied a growing taste for nostalgic motorcycle design.

Details

<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">Believers of the bomb story point to the appearance of the first Fat Boy---medium-gray gas tank and fenders, school-bus-yellow trim and a winged logo suggesting a pilot's insignia. The Enola Gay, a B29 bomber that dropped Little Boy on Hiroshima, was a silver plane with yellow tips on its black propellers. As well as the wheels being of aircraft appearance.

Baloney. Fatboy is a combination of Fat Bob and Low Boy, both HD models from the Shovelhead era.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:22 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

The rumor

Details

And you believe this? Even though Harley denies it? Wow, did you know that gullible isn't in the dictionary either? And politicians really are looking our for our best interests.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:33 AM
wahlumsurfer
Road Master

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
And you believe this? Even though Harley denies it? Wow, did you know that gullible isn't in the dictionary either? And politicians really are looking our for our best interests.

So............if MOCO says it's not true, it MUST be not true?

It may not be how the name came about, but who's to say it's not a mixture of the two? When I do look at the first production Fatboy's paint and design scheme with pictures of the Enola Gay there are many similarities between the two. If there wasn't any influence between the two I'm saying that it's one hell of a coincidence!

But, i digress and don't wanna hijack the thread any more!
I Love my Sportster!!

Attached Thumbnails Sportster is entry level budget bike-enola_gay_12_aug_2003-5.jpg   Sportster is entry level budget bike-fatboy.jpg  
Old 11-19-2010, 08:17 AM
delane
Tourer

Originally Posted by S/SixPack
Unfortunately some people are a$$es. There's a guy on the next block that has a Fat Boy. As he was walking his dog past my home the other day he saw my Forty Eight setting out and stopped to chat. During the conversation he referred to my bike as a Girl's bike atleast three or four times.

I try to be slow to anger, but this guy griped me. After telling him how ridiculous it was to refer to the Sportster as a girl's bike I suggested he go home and bring back his Fat Boy and we go out and run them. That seemed to shut him up. I haven't seen him since. This guy obviously feels the need to try and talk me down, but in reality all he did was show how shallow he was.

I sort of feel sorry for these guys that ride to impress instead of riding to enjoy.

Enrty bike? Girls bike? It's too bad some feel a need to put a label on the Sportster.

From a personal point of view I see the Sportster as the right tool for the job when it comes to the type of riding that I prefer to do right now. Some people just don't get it, but that's okay. I do.
Well said!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 AM
delane
Tourer

So............if MOCO says it's not true, it MUST be not true?

It may not be how the name came about, but who's to say it's not a mixture of the two? When I do look at the first production Fatboy's paint and design scheme with pictures of the Enola Gay there are many similarities between the two. If there wasn't any influence between the two I'm saying that it's one hell of a coincidence!

But, i digress and don't wanna hijack the thread any more!
I Love my Sportster!!
They are both silver! Quite the similarities!

Quick Reply: Sportster is entry level budget bike