Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster is entry level budget bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:34 AM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
The Americans copied the motorcycle and automobile. We did not invent them.
Henry Ford brought the production line into being.
Which he shared with the Japanese, Peruvians, and others. The first mass produced car in Japan was the 1930 Ford Model A.

Ford started in 1903, same as Harley. The Model T went into mass production in 1908

Old 01-19-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
...Ford started in 1903, same as Harley. The Model T went into mass production in 1908
Except that Harley didn't start in '03, that was a marketing ploy. They didn't even have a prototype until '05.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:27 AM
KSims1868
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What is everyone's complex with riding a Sportster? Why do so many people feel the need to DEFEND their bike of choice?

Is the Sportster the most popular model for entry level riders that want a Harley...YES. That doesn't mean that ALL Sportster riders are entry level riders, but it IS typically the budget minded, entry level motorcycle available from Harley Davidson. That is a true statement.

Jeez - it's pretty funny how this topic comes up ALL the time. What is everyone so sensitive about. It is what it is...nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:57 AM
DeD Fred
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tekdiver500ft
Except that Harley didn't start in '03
Every HD history page I can find says they were founded in 1903.

Old 01-19-2011, 12:08 PM
bmahon
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Always somebody that can't be positive!

Haven't posted for months and made one post about Sportsters and, Wow, those negative posts always come back. No matter what subject you talk about they are ready to reply with their remarks. (kahoane) I'm not insecure about any bike I ride just thought I'd give some credit to fellow HD brothers that ride Sportsters - whatever!! HD's are the best bikes out there but to anyone that has a motor between their legs your are a motorcycle Brother. For those that don't and make comments on any motorcycle forum, you need to find something else to do with your time. For those out there that love their Harleys (any model Harley) enjoy your ride and be safe!!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:21 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KSims1868
What is everyone's complex with riding a Sportster? Why do so many people feel the need to DEFEND their bike of choice?

Is the Sportster the most popular model for entry level riders that want a Harley...YES. That doesn't mean that ALL Sportster riders are entry level riders, but it IS typically the budget minded, entry level motorcycle available from Harley Davidson. That is a true statement.

Jeez - it's pretty funny how this topic comes up ALL the time. What is everyone so sensitive about. It is what it is...nothing wrong with that.

Exactly....

I know guys that have ridden Sportsters for years, and in talking with them they have never had anyone make fun of their ride of choice.

I own a Sportster along with my Big Twins, and I have never had anyone make fun of it. In fact, it gets a lot of compliments.

Most guys I ride with either own Sportsters along with their BT's, or have owned Sportster in the past and have nothing but good things to say about them.

Here in the Sportster Forum you constantly hear about folks whining and pouting about how people make fun of their bikes.... Hard to imagine that it happens that frequently but if so, so what...

People need to grow a thicker skin and quit worrying about what others think or say..

Old 01-19-2011, 01:07 PM
hig4s
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeD Fred
Every HD history page I can find says they were founded in 1903.
No motorcycle built in 1903.
In 1903 an engine was completed and mounted to a bicycle. It was a failure.
In 1904 a new engine and a motorcycle to mount it in were built. Only one known to have been built in 1904.
1905, depending on which of the Founding Fathers you asked, three to eight machines were built.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:08 PM
KSims1868
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think there's always going to be a constant good-natured "ribbing" about Sportsters from big twin riders. Not that we (they) are making FUN of Sportster riders, but it's just part of the culture.

Sort of like in the 4x4 truck world - those of us with big 4x4 trucks poke fun at the guys with toyota 4x4s...even though in many situations the Toyota can be more capable and useful than a big monster F350 4x4 diesel. It's just part of the crowd. The Toyota is a fine 4x4 and VERY trail capable...more so than most "big" trucks...but they will always hear the "get a real truck" type of comments from the big truck owners.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:39 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KSims1868
I think there's always going to be a constant good-natured "ribbing" about Sportsters from big twin riders. Not that we (they) are making FUN of Sportster riders, but it's just part of the culture.

Sort of like in the 4x4 truck world - those of us with big 4x4 trucks poke fun at the guys with toyota 4x4s...even though in many situations the Toyota can be more capable and useful than a big monster F350 4x4 diesel. It's just part of the crowd. The Toyota is a fine 4x4 and VERY trail capable...more so than most "big" trucks...but they will always hear the "get a real truck" type of comments from the big truck owners.
+1. The only time(s) I ever heard comments against sporties were by older bikers basically trying to get a rise out of me to check and see what type of attitude/character I had.

Old 01-20-2011, 03:41 PM
thegaspesian
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

id take an entry level harley over a top end jap.
go "girl bike"
haha had to stir the ****.every post no matter what the topic has some guy sayin that an i didnt want your thread to be left out.
i love my entry level harley,driving my royalstar venture was smooth and quiet but my sporty is like driving a two wheeled farm tractor,and i think its the kid in me but go farm tractors
fun all american mini hog.

Quick Reply: Sportster is entry level budget bike