Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer issue ..

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Speedometer issue ..

So I was trying to clean up the mess of cables and once I put things back together I now have a weird issue... the Speedo needle does not move while riding, it stays at 0 MPH... however, the odometer works ??... when I turn on the ignition I see the speedo needle going through the initialization process (rocking back and forth then staying at 0 mph) backlight is ok, security key and other lights work.. I checked the connections to the VSS sensor and it appears to be ok... I am curious and I hope you all knowledgeable members can enlighten me... I understand the ECU uses the VSS (Velocity Speed Sensor) to determine speed, but how does it calculate traveled distance???.. isn't it by using the VSS sensor also?... I have the HD electrical diagnostics manual.. I checked the connections... I tried to pull the diagnostics codes by pressing and holding the Speedo reset button then turning the ignition on, then releasing the reset button, it does not show anything (perhaps I have a cabling issue that prevents me from going through the sequence, I noticed the speedo has separate cables for ignition signal and battery, perhaps the ignition signal is not reaching the speedo housing).... thanks much!!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:23 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior

hey fellas.... for the record I found the source of this strange behavior, the Ignition cable (a solid Orange cable on pin #1) on the female connector where the speedo attaches to was not inserted all the way, the speedo was receiving Battery and Accessory power, but no Ignition signal, this causes the odometer and back-light to work, but the speedo needle was non-functional, also, this loose cable caused the neutral light to be non-functional either... I still need to put the motorcycle back together and ride it to make sure the speedo needle works.... but I am pretty sure this was the issue and not the VSS sensor..

Old 11-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you figured it out.Love the bike,by the way.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:38 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Thanks Mike!

Old 11-09-2010, 10:51 AM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where's the suicide shift at, JOE????

Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by streetfighter06
Where's the suicide shift at, JOE????

hahahaa.... yeah bro... I am going nuts thinking about it.. I decided to clean up/relocate the cables... I am amazed at how many cables and how complex these little machines are..!!... I'll start working on the foot clutch/hand shift next week.... I promise... :-)

Old 11-09-2010, 06:14 PM
GlennB.
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

hey joe, how much of your riding is on the highway? you think about doing the 1200 conversion yet?

Old 11-09-2010, 07:32 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Hey GlrnnB I ride mostly on the highway... and yes.. I always find myself trying to find a non-existent 6th gear... :-( but it is hard to justify the investment on a NRHS Stage 3 + install = around 4K.. do you also ride an 883cc ??

Old 11-09-2010, 08:33 PM
vegasrock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joebotics
hey fellas.... for the record I found the source of this strange behavior, the Ignition cable (a solid Orange cable on pin #1) on the female connector where the speedo attaches to was not inserted all the way, the speedo was receiving Battery and Accessory power, but no Ignition signal, this causes the odometer and back-light to work, but the speedo needle was non-functional, also, this loose cable caused the neutral light to be non-functional either... I still need to put the motorcycle back together and ride it to make sure the speedo needle works.... but I am pretty sure this was the issue and not the VSS sensor..
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. My neutral light recently stopped working although my my speedo and everything else works fine. I haven't had time to investigate it yet though

Old 11-09-2010, 09:04 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by vegasrock
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. My neutral light recently stopped working although my my speedo and everything else works fine. I haven't had time to investigate it yet though

hey Vegas.. it is possible that the neutral sensor either went bad or got disconnected.. the neutral sensor switch is located next to the belt sprocket .. this switch closes a circuit to ground when it detects neutral... if you follow the cable it has a intermediate connector at the bottom part of the frame near where the right forward control.. if you disconnect it and touch the exposed part of the connector to ground you should activate the neutral light... if not... you have a cabling issue .. if you can activate the light this way then you most likely have a bad neutral sensor.. I hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Speedometer issue ..