Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally took my first long ride and broke the bike in 500 miles+

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:55 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finally took my first long ride and broke the bike in 500 miles+

My buddy and I rode from Northern VA up to Gettysburg PA and back yesterday. It was a great ride. We meandered through farmland on the way up. Rode around town and the battlefield. Then took a straight-shot state highway for the way back. I saw lots of bikes on the wau up.

My buddy drives a '91 Ultra Classic Road Glide. Lots of chrome, tail lights, three hard cases. He was pulling away from me for most of the ride up. I had to keep it at 3500 rpm. But halfway there I hit the magic 500 mile mark and slid into the lead. I pulled away from him easily. It was great. It was the first time since having the bike that I was able to shift without "thinking" about it -- up and down the gear box. Can't wait to put on the slip-ons/AC and rejet and let it breathe better. After 500 miles, I already have some blue on the pipes underneath the heat shields. TO be expected and at least the heat shields cover it up.

Either way, great ride. I may need to invest in a windshield, but it was not too bad. My buddy, with his full faring and built in cigarette lighter was puffing a Marlboro at 70mph! Jerk! LOL

I did almost get swiped by a cager in a minvan. Bastard was enetering the highway and immediately crossed two lanes to get into the fast lane. Split me and my buddy. I saw him coming, anticpated it, and was able to slow it down real fast. Still, I almost had to lock my brakes up it happened so fast. If I had not reckoned he'd be a jerk-off, I would have been swiped. He waved a sorry in his mirror. I waved a middle finger in response. IT was a close call.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default RE: Finally took my first long ride and broke the bike in 500 miles+

Glad to hear you avoided what could have been a disaster. Those cagers either don't see you, or see you and figure YOU can avoid their assinine maneuvers. Glad you were safe and had a good time. I also know what you mean about the possible need for a windshield when riding the slab...

Keep the shiny side up!

Old 09-18-2006, 02:06 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For the first 3,000 miles or so, I thought I needed to get a windshield also. I guess after that, my neck muscles have built up. Doesn't bother me at all anymore. Glad you got back home safe.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:58 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior

Thanks, it was a blast. Windshield -- we'll see. It is not near the top of my list of things to do. Right now the top of the list is taking it to the dealer and letting them STage 1 it for me. I have the parts, just want them to do the carb drilling etc because I am paranoid about the warranty. After that, I'll be able to tune it myself and blame it on them! Just kidding of course.
Just need to find a ride to and from. Dealer said if I drop it off before they close one night I can pick it up before close the next day. Not bad. Plus they have a dyno if I am interested in charting the engine out.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Tim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats great and all, but did ya take any photos. Glad you had a good ride....good time of the year too. Tim

Old 09-20-2006, 02:19 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Tim

Thats great and all, but did ya take any photos. Glad you had a good ride....good time of the year too. Tim
Photos, good question. I have a bag, actually bags, full of Nikon digital SLRs and various lenses -- like $12K in total equipment -- and not one single point-and-shoot camera! On the trip I actually realized I really needed a small point-and-shoot digital camera that will slip in my vest or jacket. Definitely on the list to get.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:42 AM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's one obsticle out of the way (break-in). That has to be the longest 500 miles if you do it per the manual. Mine took me a week, now I have over 3K on it in less than a month. Ride on!

Old 09-20-2006, 04:35 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior

Hell yeah it was a long ride!

I got the bike at the end of August. And EVERY weekend since then I have been out of town. Sunday was the first time I've had a chance to take it out all day. Of course I rode as much as I could during the weekdays -- even then, it rained every day one week! But with a coat and tie job, I am not hot on riding it into work and having a 60mph freeway blast ruin the creases and starch I pay the local dry cleaner for! haha I do ride it in on casual Friday's though.

ANd yeah, I followed the break-in as per the manual. Only once or twice did I possibly go over the rpm limit before shifting (by mistake) and only once or twice downshifted when I shouldn't have (reflex). Not talking winding then engine out or blipping it or nothing -- just a couple hundred RPM over. REal smooth and only happened a couple times. I was overly **** about the break-in and babying it. It was killing me to have to "think" about shifting and using the brakes the way I did etc. I was REAL nice to get it past 500 and finally just be able to use the gears up and down and any available RPM to suit the driving conditions. I could finally stop "thinking" about that stuff and just ride!

Old 09-20-2006, 06:43 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

cosmicHD,

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Get yourself an inexpensive 4-5 meg DIGITAL camera, always keep it on the bike, and start snapping away!

Old 09-20-2006, 08:20 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: cosmicHD

ANd yeah, I followed the break-in as per the manual. Only once or twice did I possibly go over the rpm limit before shifting (by mistake) and only once or twice downshifted when I shouldn't have (reflex). Not talking winding then engine out or blipping it or nothing -- just a couple hundred RPM over. REal smooth and only happened a couple times. I was overly **** about the break-in and babying it. It was killing me to have to "think" about shifting and using the brakes the way I did etc. I was REAL nice to get it past 500 and finally just be able to use the gears up and down and any available RPM to suit the driving conditions. I could finally stop "thinking" about that stuff and just ride!
You guys kill me.... Come on... It's a Harley for God's sake. Just ride the dang thing.... :-)

Charlie D.

Quick Reply: Finally took my first long ride and broke the bike in 500 miles+