Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New hear, tranny issues.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 AM
bmccord
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here, tranny issues.

Hello all, I am new to the H-D world as I have been a car guy up until a few months ago when I decided to get back into riding. That said I picked up an 02 Sportster 883R that was converted to a 1200. In the last couple days I have noticed that it is hard to get it into neutral once warmed up and sometimes when it does go into neutral, the N light doesn't even come on. In addition to that, while upshifting into 2nd or 3rd it will not go into gear. Instead it will just pop out of gear into what appears to be neutral. I have to drop down to the lower gear and give it a little stank to get it up to the next gear. I am thinking changing to tranny oil first maybe to a snyth of some kind and see if that helps. I will not be riding in temps below 40 or so if that helps figuring out an oil type or weight.

Any idea? I did search around a bit but didn't come across anything specific to my situation.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by bmccord; 10-18-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
bmccord
1st Gear

oops, forgot to set my account to auto subscribe...just subscribing.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a clutch problem. First thing to do is get a service manual. It really helps.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

How about adjusting the clutch and changing the oil? That might help.

Drew

Old 10-18-2010, 11:58 AM
bmccord
1st Gear

That is funny you mention that. Being that I am a small guy (5'-10" at 140) I noticed my wrist getting sore the first several times from 'heavy' clutch pull. I wonder if I am not getting a full stoke on the lever before I am shifting thus keeping the trans loaded and not allowing a full shift. I will have to check into that but that does not account for the not going into neutral part.

I will def get a manual soon. Any places online to find the best deal and what is the best maintenance manual out there for the DIY'ers?

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2010, 12:07 PM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some cable lube.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Bedore
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by bmccord
That is funny you mention that. Being that I am a small guy (5'-10" at 140) I noticed my wrist getting sore the first several times from 'heavy' clutch pull. I wonder if I am not getting a full stoke on the lever before I am shifting thus keeping the trans loaded and not allowing a full shift. I will have to check into that but that does not account for the not going into neutral part.

I will def get a manual soon. Any places online to find the best deal and what is the best maintenance manual out there for the DIY'ers?

Thanks!
You are talking about the clutch lever. While that can be adjusted, what everyone is is talking about is adjusting the clutch itself. It involves removing the derby cover and turning an adjuster screw. Check this video for information on how to do it. Be sure to pick up the service manual as well. Once the clutch is adjusted, you can re-adjust the lever itself. You should be able to adjust it to your liking. As the poster above said before, if the clutch pulls hard spray some cable lube into the cable and that should soften it up nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_sa_...layer_embedded

Last edited by Bedore; 10-18-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:28 PM
bmccord
1st Gear

Wow Bedore, thanks! I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about care and do all my major wrenching on my cars, I am seriously flying blind with the Harley. I am sure with some time it will be a piece of cake but I will def start with the manual, cable lube and adjust the clutch.

I am getting ready to change out all the fluids for piece of mind. The manual obviously calls for HD oil but I plan on running all synthetics because I don't ride all that much to the cost of fluids will be spread out. What are some typical synthetic oils people are using in the engine and trans?

Thanks again.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Spur56
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mobile 1 is cheap and easy to get, not to mention it is a great lubricant. Try 15-50 in the engine and 75-90 gear lube in the primary/trans.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Bedore
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccord
Wow Bedore, thanks! I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about care and do all my major wrenching on my cars, I am seriously flying blind with the Harley. I am sure with some time it will be a piece of cake but I will def start with the manual, cable lube and adjust the clutch.

I am getting ready to change out all the fluids for piece of mind. The manual obviously calls for HD oil but I plan on running all synthetics because I don't ride all that much to the cost of fluids will be spread out. What are some typical synthetic oils people are using in the engine and trans?

Thanks again.
I personally run Shell Rotella T 15W40 in my engine, but if you live in a hot climate consider a heavier oil like 15W50 or 20W50.

As for the primary, I run Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W90 gear oil.

I know the Mobil 1 15W50 is popular in these bikes as is Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50. I find the V-Twin formula to be overpriced (around 10$/qt) and have had good luck with my oil choice. YMMV. When it comes to oil there is a ton of information on the net, and also a ton of misinformation. I strongly urge you to do your OWN research and run what you want to run. Everthing else is merely suggestion.

Quick Reply: New hear, tranny issues.