Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I must have pissed my HONDA buddies off

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 11:29 AM
jojoenglish85
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking So I must have pissed my HONDA buddies off

Yep so my buddies at work are divided between honda cruisers and the Harley gang lol. I have been searching for the right bike for a couple of months now and fell in love with the honda Fury, but after waiting and waiting to make the right decision if i should purchase it have let the spontaneity of buying it subside. It was rumored at work that i went with a couple of guys to the Harley dealership to look at some other options and that is what i did. After seeing the sportster 48 i knew i made the right choice to hold off on the fury. Well it got around to the honda guys at work that im going to test ride the 48, Iron 883, and probably the nightster today and they are now flaming me for even considering the Harley. All of a sudden im into "chick bikes" and i must be a "beginner" for choosing a sportster. Oh ya and im showing how cheap im being by choosing a Harley which isn't considered by any bikers to be a "true" Harley davidson bike/purchase. They say im trying to take the cheap way out and that im too cheap to buy a bigger bike like the fury or rocker c. My opinion has always been to buy what you like not what others like lol. So i would like to know from you sportster owners if you have ever felt like your not a "true" Harley owner and have had a "true" Harley Davidson experience because you own sportsters. I personally think its bullsh*t to say im not gonna have the full experience unless i buy something that i don't like from Harley just because others don't think the sportster is truely a Harley bike. I think the honda guys are just pissed because im not entertaining the thought of getting the Fury anymore.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:01 PM
markmil
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep an open mind. I've been riding my 883 for the last 10 years and I still love every mile I put on it. It's all about the journey man.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:03 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by jojoenglish85
My opinion has always been to buy what you like not what others like.
If your above quote is true than what's this post all about???

Old 10-16-2010, 12:25 PM
champ198
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 26 Posts

Its a Harley not a metric...its a legend not an import nuff said

Old 10-16-2010, 12:26 PM
ranger50
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sportsters have been around in the Harley lineup for a long long time. They also are one of the most popular models that Harley davidson has ever produced, and the stable of the Harley lineup of true American made motorcycles. Anyone who owns and rides a Harley Davidson motorcycle, no matter what model, respects the sportster as a Harley. Why, because, most Harley owners have eithier started on a sportster, or still riding a sportster. IMHO, I don't think you could have a truly Harley Davidson lineup without the sportster being part of it. Just ask any Harley Davidson owner. This is my H.O.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:28 PM
justusm
Advanced

You are not talking about buying a Moped or a Honda 50 here. A sportster is a true Harley Davidson, or at least that is what mine says right on the gas tank. I would get what I wanted and not worry about what anybody says. From what I have learned, what you buy has a lot more to do with of the kind of riding that you are going to do,how the bike fits you, what you like, and what you can afford. Get what you want and forget the peer pressure from the Honda side or the Harley side.
GOOD LUCK

Old 10-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Aaron48
Road Master

I could have bought another metric but I bought what I loved a 2010 Sportster 48 and I am loving every minute of it !!

Old 10-16-2010, 12:41 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ride with 2 HOG groups and no one has ever said anything negative about my sporty... my honda buddy gives me a hard time cause of my "rough ride"- and i just tell him that i prefer not to ride my couch on the road!
as was already posted, ride what you love and ignore what anyone else thinks. i get way more compliments than anything, and pretty sure you will too with any of the sportys

Old 10-16-2010, 12:42 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

You know you want a Harley.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

The Sportster is all Harley Davidson. Any one who thinks otherwise is full of BS.

Quick Reply: So I must have pissed my HONDA buddies off