Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I must have pissed my HONDA buddies off

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Amci
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oh and one last note...

First, new pipes and a power commander on the Fury will leave even a stage 3 (assuming this is just air filter, pipes and power commander type mods) 48 behind, somebody is dreaming if they think these same mods don't exist on the Honda...

Anyway, I will say this... I've never seen the kind of Anger Honda owners tend to have towards Harley owners among any other bike brands... It just isn't there and you can't even post helpful things on the Shadow forums if they know you have a Harley... The sad part, I have never seen the equivalent from a Harley owner even though we are said to be "Harley Bigots".

Last edited by Amci; 10-17-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-17-2010, 03:35 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Your not going to be magically happy with any bike you choose

not even with lucky charms??

Old 10-17-2010, 03:58 PM
mcman
Cruiser

When I was young I wanted a 900 Sportster more than anything else in the world. I think it was a 900. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. Of course a Sportster is a Harley. Buy it. You may want to seriously consider whose money you're spending, yours or theirs. If it's yours, buy the bike you want and let them eat cake. This is coming from someone who has both a Gold Wing and an UltraClassic.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:04 PM
RAL
Cruiser
Default Nits

[quote=tekdiver500ft;7421230]
Originally Posted by RAL

There has been no single model of Ural (based on the BMW R-71, designed in 1923) continuously produced. The Royal Enfield Bullet (in current form) was introduced in 1962, 5 years after the Sportster. Both of these have had stops and starts in production, and can not truly be said to be continuous. They both have greater respect for tradition than the Sportster, and are much closer to their origins, which is great (and I really like them both), but they don't have the length, depth, and breadth of heritage like the Sportster.
The Ural has about the least deviation of any bike out there. They are SLOW to change anything. A good understanding of Russian thinking is well stated with an old Russian saying "Better is enemy of good enough!" My other bike is a "Oo rawl". Other than a disc brake up front and some changes to the basic engine (it is still the ol BMW boxer putting out less than 40 Horse) trust me it is 1940s technology. The tranny is no sync with square cut gears better suited to farm equipment, it makes a Harley tranny seem smooth as silk!
The Sportster is not quite the same machine that was produced in the late 50s. It was a dirt bike with an Ironhead engine. There have been MANY changes and model choices over the years if you really want to pick nits.

RAL

Old 10-17-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by mcman
When I was young I wanted a 900 Sportster more than anything else in the world. I think it was a 900...
Yeah, they called them 900s, but they were 883s. Of course, it depends on what year you were looking at, they've had 900s, 1000s, 750s, 883s, and 1200s. I want to say they had an 1100, too, but I'm not sure (maybe it was only on the Buell).

Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Bonker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dirknar
Never truer words that I can relate too.. I had an 05' GSXR.. I got necksnaping headturns from HOT chicks while with their boyfriends, literally ALL the time.. Now on my sportster, I get the big smile and thumbs up from the stank ho, tattoo covered, toothless, fat, white trash, trailer park chicks, driving the beat up Subaru brat..
Hahaha!!! Oh man you owe me a keyboard! Note to self, don't drink a beer and read hdforums simultaneously.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:39 PM
Bonker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Amci
Anyway, I will say this... I've never seen the kind of Anger Honda owners tend to have towards Harley owners among any other bike brands... It just isn't there and you can't even post helpful things on the Shadow forums if they know you have a Harley... The sad part, I have never seen the equivalent from a Harley owner even though we are said to be "Harley Bigots".
I've seen it from both camps as I am a double agent. Really though, it's too bad the Honda people don't know their history. The MoCo "gave" them their first real bike design.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:44 PM
RAL
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Bonker
I've seen it from both camps as I am a double agent. Really though, it's too bad the Honda people don't know their history. The MoCo "gave" them their first real bike design.

Would that be the 750 Four?

RAL

Old 10-17-2010, 04:48 PM
Amci
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bonker
I'm serious, I always here how Their Shadows will smoke a 1200 Sportster and I'm baffled by that, no amount of Hyperchargers, Stage 3 setups or straight pipes will make up the difference between an equally equipped 1200 Sportster. Yet they keep going with that crap and then when you comment on their inferiority complex they get really pissy. Also, the fact that I still own a Shadow doesn't mean a thing to them because, I now own a Harley as well and that's a no no!

Honestly though, we have a Shadow VLX (used to have a Spirit, bike was uncomfortable so I sold it), a Sportster XL1200 Custom and an Intruder 1500 so I'm not really partial to any camp (although the comfort of my Intruder is hard to beat that's for sure) and obviously some people feel that they have to absolutely draw their battle lines (why, is Honda paying them or maybe Harley?)

Old 10-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Bonker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by RAL
Would that be the 750 Four?

RAL
I had it wrong. It was Riuko they gave the design to in 1935... as well as teaching the Japanese the art of mass production. Ironic really...

First they gave them the Flathead and then the Knucklehead. Frames, engines, tooling... everything.

Quick Reply: So I must have pissed my HONDA buddies off