Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just added a Sportster to the stable

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:54 PM
CanadianViking
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default just added a Sportster to the stable

I got a crazy smoking deal on a 2006 Sportster 1200L, I don't really need another bike but it was a something I couldn't pass up. The Sporty has only 1500 km on it and hasn't been run in the past year. Its close to stock with the only additions being V&H pipes, HD windshield & crash bars and a LePera seat. Its running a little rough right now, I need to drain and replace the gas, run some carb cleaner through it and check the plugs and I'm sure it will run better. Not really sure what I'm going to do with this bike, I'll probably just use it as my "in town" scoot (whereas my RKC will be for longer rides). Love the nimbleness and power of the Sporty, really fun to rip around on. Initially I wasn't a huge fan of the color but its starting to grow on me (not sure what the paint name is, looks like a pearl white to me), I think I would like the color more if the oil tank was color matched (instead of black). Anyway I'll be looking here for ideas & inspiration for changes and upgrades that I can make to this bike.

Last edited by CanadianViking; 10-08-2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: updated photo album
Old 10-08-2010, 04:07 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. Sporty's are so much fun and there is so much you can do with them. Welcome to our side. You just may make it you're preferred ride.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:25 PM
S/SixPack
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bike looks good, hope you enjoy it. I think you will.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:43 PM
.357 Magnum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, Sportsters make great "second bikes" in addition to a bagger. It's funny how many people on the touring forum list a Sportster in their signature line too.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:27 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

"White Gold" is the name of that '06 color.
Got my Softail first. Picked up a Sportster 'cause they're so much fun - plus, I needed something else to work on.
Enjoy.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:38 PM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Um... who on earth would want a 2006 Low in that terrible color?

Nice score!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:18 PM
CanadianViking
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thanks for the welcome to the Sportsters forum, I can hardly wait to start customizing this scoot.

I think one of the first things I'm going to add is the color matched side cover kit (
66263-10DHN) - anyone have experience with this kit?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:37 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

You'll need to install the oil filler bezel and mounting grommets onto the new covers. Put a set on the OL's bike. Piece of cake.
Drill a zip-tie size hole in the forward, left side mounting clip and send a zip tie down through the slit in the left side cover and the hole. No need to cinch the zip tie. The head of the zip tie will keep it from falling through. You can use the same one over and over. Lots of them covers have fallen off. Doesn't seem to be an issue with the right side.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:29 AM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CanadianViking
thanks for the welcome to the Sportsters forum, I can hardly wait to start customizing this scoot.

I think one of the first things I'm going to add is the color matched side cover kit (
66263-10DHN) - anyone have experience with this kit?
welcome to our bike!
my experience is only with chrome. if it can be chromed, i have done it!
only parts on my bike that arent are the tires, the lights and the painted parts (tank, fenders)- so thats one option!

Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice. You need some West Coast T-Bars on that. Here is mine.

These are 8" and no need to change any cables. Just internally wire the bars and you are good to go. Here is how I sit on it. Very comfortable! I call this bike the lane splitting goddess, as I can fit through any space with this setup. It is great fun to zip around twon on for me too. Every time I get on it I remember why I bought it for the wife. So I could ride it!

Since the pics I have moved the speedo down to the bottom of the bars. Here it is. I'd liek to do the Joker machine relocation bracket, but i cannot see how you would be able to see the speedo down on the side. One day I'll lift the tank and relocate the coil along with a wire tuck.

Drew

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 10-09-2010 at 12:43 AM.

Quick Reply: just added a Sportster to the stable