Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Sucker Oil Leak... WTF!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Xenomorph
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Sucker Oil Leak... WTF!?

Hey all! Just wanted to post this to see if anyone else has had the same problem I'm having... Well, to make a long story short about two months ago I put an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner on my 09' Nightster and since doing so I have noticed that oil has begun to leak from the spot that the backing plate meets the jugs (Its the part the breather bolts go through). It's causing oil to leak down the upper three fins on both the front and rear jug... WTF is with that? It's torqued down pretty damn good so I'm kinda at a loss...

Anyone else experiance the same??? Thanks for your input!

Below is a pic to show where the leak is comming from and direction of oil leak flow. It's doing this on the front and rear jug.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:00 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

What did you install in the way of a gasket between the backing plate and cylinder head?

Old 10-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Wizid
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There should be a rubber O ring at that connection. Check to see if it got pinched, or damaged durring installation.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:15 PM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
What did you install in the way of a gasket between the backing plate and cylinder head?
+1

If you used the O-ring that came with the kit, you could of pinched it when you put it in. Get a replacement O-ring (it can be gotten anywhere) and use a little petroleum jelly to hold them in place while you put it back together.

When I installed my BS II, I used a slightly fatter O-ring than the one that came with the kit.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Xenomorph
Tourer

Originally Posted by cHarley
What you're seeing is a bracket that holds the manifold in place. It wasn't installed by me as an addition to my setup, It was there with the OEM air cleaner too. The odd thing is that there was no leak prior to removing OEM cleaner and putting the Arlen Ness cleaner on.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:50 PM
06flstf
Tourer

you may have too much spray oil on the K&N filter (looks like its a great shade of red). I made that mistake once, thinking more oil spray is better. After I re-cleaned the filter and put a little less spray on the filter and the problem went away.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:57 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

Any chance the leak could be coming from the rocker box gasket in the same area?

Old 10-06-2010, 05:19 PM
chevy94ss
Road Captain

Xenomorph, that black brace thing I think shouldve been removed when adding the BS. At least my directions told me to remove it.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:40 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy94ss
Xenomorph, that black brace thing I think shouldve been removed when adding the BS. At least my directions told me to remove it.
Chevy... are you sure? that bracket is very important... it not only holds the manifold in place but it also supports the weight of the air filter assembly, without it the weight of the air filter assembly is only supported by the manifold, with all the vibration from the engine and rattling when you hit a bump it can damage the manifold... I suggest you reinstall it as soon as possible ..BTW... sorry to hijack the thread Xenomorph.. but I believe it is important I clarify this to Chevy... ok... back to drinking my Old Rasputin beer... :-)

Last edited by joebotics; 10-06-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:41 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy94ss
Chevy... are you sure? that bracket is very important... it not only holds the manifold in place but it also supports the weight of the air filter assembly, without it the weight of the air filter assembly is only supported by the manifold, with all the vibration from the engine and rattling when you hit a bump it can damage the manifold... I suggest you reinstall it as soon as possible.. BTW... sorry to hijack the thread Xenomorph.. but I believe it is important I clarify this to Chevy... ok... back to drinking my Old Rasputin beer... :-)

Quick Reply: Big Sucker Oil Leak... WTF!?