Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Sucker Oil Leak... WTF!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:11 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by joebotics
Chevy... are you sure? that bracket is very important... it not only holds the manifold in place but it also supports the weight of the air filter assembly, without it the weight of the air filter assembly is only supported by the manifold, with all the vibration from the engine and rattling when you hit a bump it can damage the manifold... I suggest you reinstall it as soon as possible.. BTW... sorry to hijack the thread Xenomorph.. but I believe it is important I clarify this to Chevy... ok... back to drinking my Old Rasputin beer... :-)
mmmmm......old rasputin. north coast brewery i believe. best russian imperial stout i've ever drank, period. now back to xeno's problem. there def. is an o'ring in there that may have been pinched. i have some minor seapage of oil from the same area that will just not go away and have learned to live with it. make sure you're using the right banjo bolts as the kit comes with 2 diff. kinds for carbed and efi bikes. pretty sure you want the bolts with the smaller holes. make sure your oil level is correct too. i'm oretty sure i don't have that black bracket either joe.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:22 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

yeah... Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing.. California... addictive!... hey Chevy and BMX... that support bracket is pretty much mandatory.... now.... about the leakage... I am certain that each side requires two o-rings... one between the heads and the support bracket, and one between the support bracket and banjo bolt.... if the leakage is killing you ... then use gasket maker also for a better seal.. the mandatory installation of the support bracket comes from Dan Dunn - NRHS... he sent me an email explaining all this after I sent a picture of my bike running the HurricaneFlo Air Filter without the bracket... I'll be back... gotta buy some Arrogant Bastard Ale... :-)

Old 10-07-2010, 11:44 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

yeah... Old Rasputin from North Coast Brewing.. California... addictive!... hey Chevy and BMX... that support bracket is pretty much mandatory.... now.... about the leakage... I am certain that each side requires two o-rings... one between the heads and the support bracket, and one between the support bracket and banjo bolt.... if the leakage is killing you ... then use gasket maker also for a better seal.. the mandatory installation of the support bracket comes from Dan Dunn - NRHS... he sent me an email explaining all this after I sent a picture of my bike running the HurricaneFlo Air Filter without the bracket... I'll be back... gotta buy some Arrogant Bastard Ale... :-)
make sure you get the "oak barrel aged" arrogant bastard. way better imo and kind of has a whiskey mouth feel.

remember, beer has food value but food has NO beer value.
check this joe - http://www.arlenness.com/images/prod...on/I-18803.pdf

step 2 clearly states it will no longer be used. too many rasputin's my brotha........lol

Old 10-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Galvatron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That bracket should have been removed, and yes I am sure.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:38 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv

step 2 clearly states it will no longer be used. too many rasputin's my brotha........lol
LOL!!.... yeah... I see it... the Big Sucker comes with a backplate... that is why is not needed in this case... however.. it applies to other ACs (like velocity stacks or the one Xenomorph is using)

I will check that other beer bro.... BTW... do you still have that support bracket?... I lost the one for my HurricaneFlo ... thanks bro!!.. !!!.. cheers!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Xenomorph
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmxatv
make sure you get the "oak barrel aged" arrogant bastard. way better imo and kind of has a whiskey mouth feel.

check this joe - http://www.arlenness.com/images/prod...on/I-18803.pdf

Interesting that they advise the bracket be removed... Mine didn't come with instructions and I just thought it wouldn't make any sence to remove a manifold support bracket to instal an air cleaner. I think I'm just going to work on a better seal where the backing plate meets the support bracket and the jug. My engine vibrates ALOT so I figure I'd rather leave the bracket in place.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:31 PM
chevy94ss
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xenomorph, as some said before, check the O rings and make sure they are not crushed and seated correctly.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:55 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

LOL!!.... yeah... I see it... the Big Sucker comes with a backplate... that is why is not needed in this case... however.. it applies to other ACs (like velocity stacks or the one Xenomorph is using)

I will check that other beer bro.... BTW... do you still have that support bracket?... I lost the one for my HurricaneFlo ... thanks bro!!.. !!!.. cheers!
don't have the bracket any longer, sold my SE stage1 and gave it to the guy who bought it. If you like Stone brewery bro, try the Vertical Epic too. Stone rules!

Originally Posted by Xenomorph
Interesting that they advise the bracket be removed... Mine didn't come with instructions and I just thought it wouldn't make any sence to remove a manifold support bracket to instal an air cleaner. I think I'm just going to work on a better seal where the backing plate meets the support bracket and the jug. My engine vibrates ALOT so I figure I'd rather leave the bracket in place.
make sure you did this too....Good luck Xeno! Let us know how you make out!

UP
You must install the aluminum spacer between the throttle body and backplate.
First attach a gasket to the throttle body then add the spacer then another
gasket to the backplate.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get the exact same thing and mine is stock. Started at about the 4500 mile mark. I just clean it off.