Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra lights on sportster

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:16 PM
MidWest XL
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extra lights on sportster

I'm running the Kuryakyn version of HD's run-turn-brake light module out back. REALLY adds more visibility to the cagers. The HD passing lights that SLORider is running look nice on his bike - they even look like the lenses are smoked. I like them, but don't think they'd work with the look I'm going with for my bike.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:53 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: GothMetalGuitarist

Tralfaz you alreay have redundancy in the fact that your headlamp has twin filaments. Just a tip here, but if your headlight ever goes and you are on the road just flick over to your high beams and give your head light a few knocks to lower it so you dont **** off oncoming traffic.

I agree with all of you though, thats a sweet sporty and some nice aux lights.
Yeah, I was thinking that the dual filaments would give me some redundancy, but I didn't think about knocking the light down a little to not burn out retinas in oncoming traffic. Thanks for that tip (though hopefully I'll never need to use it). heh heh.

Seriously, though, I also just like the look of having the 3 lights versus just the single light. During some of my rides at night I sometimes see another cruiser coming the other way with 3 lights and it just looks cool, and makes the motorcycle more obvious.

I had looked on the HD website at the accessories but the light bar they show for Sportsters didn't quite look like the one in SLORiders picture. I'll have to keep checking into this, though I am close to reaching my limit on accessories for the time being. I'm really having to prioritize now.

SLORider, that's definately a sweet looking ride.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:43 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely nice looking ride.

Stupid question: How do these auxilary lights work -- do they come with an extra on/off switch to mount to your bars? Or can you get a new custom housing for all your light switches? You don't leave them always on, do you?

Also, do they work with any sort of windshield?

Old 09-20-2006, 11:14 PM
eggroll
Road Master

Not a stupid question, man. Answer: the system (mine, at least) has a separate switch that is mounted on the lower clamp bolt of the left side controls next to the dimmer switch. When in high beam, the auxiliaries will switch off until you return to low beam. I've included a pic of my bike with the aux. lights and detachable windshield. It's hard to see, but the windshield is cut to accomodate the aux. lights.
ORIGINAL: cosmicHD

Definitely nice looking ride.

Stupid question: How do these auxilary lights work -- do they come with an extra on/off switch to mount to your bars? Or can you get a new custom housing for all your light switches? You don't leave them always on, do you?

Also, do they work with any sort of windshield?

[IMG]local://upfiles/14436/D343942C4D3B4647B3998F8044774203.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-20-2006, 11:47 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior

OK, interesting. So when you go to hi-beams, they are not on. I guess hi-beam and those extra two lights would be overkill, huh?

On low-beam -- how much more light are you getting? Is it now equivalent, to let's say by, "medium" beam

Also, does anyone have a straight=omn shot of these on? Love to see what the straight on profile is and how far they stick out.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:26 AM
Fireitup
Intermediate

On low beam you have 55 wattsx3=165 watts medium?

Old 09-21-2006, 01:02 AM
eggroll
Road Master

I took this one at night; I'll try to remember to get a daytime shot tomorrow. The measurement from the far left side to the far right side of the lights is 19", but since each light is mounted on a separate arm that is clamped to its corresponding fork, you can swing each light slightly forward which would narrow the space between them.

Personally, I think that with the wider tank they look pretty good. They also add nicely to night vision, though I'm not a fan of riding after dark.
ORIGINAL: cosmicHD

OK, interesting. So when you go to hi-beams, they are not on. I guess hi-beam and those extra two lights would be overkill, huh?

On low-beam -- how much more light are you getting? Is it now equivalent, to let's say by, "medium" beam

Also, does anyone have a straight=omn shot of these on? Love to see what the straight on profile is and how far they stick out.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14436/0D47F564A5E5400189490C8B2ED4CAEF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 AM
eggroll
Road Master

OK cosmic; here's the daytime shot (as promised).Name:  California2006109.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  4.2 KB

An edit: Sorry the pic is so small; working out with photobucket.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:46 PM
drumer66
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks fantastic......

i think thats what i want to do.....

which lenses did you go with............and do you remember how much it costs

Name:  DSC02390.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  67.6 KB

jim d....drumer66

Old 10-04-2006, 10:23 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: eggroll

OK cosmic; here's the daytime shot (as promised).

An edit: Sorry the pic is so small; working out with photobucket.
That looks nice. Meaty look. I am going to start with trying out a Sylvania bulb first. But for now, running my high beams 24/7 has made me forget about my light problem.

Quick Reply: Extra lights on sportster