Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well... I did it (new Forty-Eight purchase...)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:03 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Well... I did it (new Forty-Eight purchase...)

My quick background story is that I started riding a few years back. I started off with a '95 Dynaglide Custom, then traded that up to the Road King Custom you see in my sig the next year.

I sold my Road King Custom a few months back when I started the divorce process, because a) I didn't know if I could afford it and b) I didn't want the added stress of dealing with the bike while finding and moving into an apartment.

My divorce was final last week and of course, I've been thinking REALLY hard about another bike. As many of you know, that divorce crap is the worst thing most people will ever experience. I figured I deserved something big that represents a new future. Thus, BIKE TIME!

I wanted something totally opposite of the Road King. I test rode a few bikes and the new Forty-Eight Sportster won out. I knew the second I hopped on it that it was a good bike for me.

So anyway... I was a little scared to do it, but I went ahead today and purchased a new 2011 Forty-Eight in black. I'll ride it home tomorrow while I'm waiting for the stage 1 parts to come in.

Attached is a picture in it's stock form with the "sold" sticker on the seat.

I'm having them install a Ness "Big Sucker" air cleaner, Cobra EFI management thing, and Vance and Hines "Blackout" 2-1 exhaust. I bet that **** is going to SCREAM. I also bet it's going to look kickass with that exhaust! The bike already looks low and long and that longer exhaust is bound to compliment that.

I couldn't get over how fun it was to ride. Alot quicker and "punchier" than the big cadillac Road King.

Anyway, someone give me a big congrats! LOL... Of course I'll post pics when the upgrades are done probably sometime next week. Until then, I'll have to ride it around in it's quiet stock form.

Oh yeah, I'll try to have someone paint the tank all black in the future with no decals or emblems. That would look great. I may add some heat wrap to the pipes too.

The "new" me is seriously looking forward to raising some hell on this thing.

Attached Thumbnails Well...  I did it (new Forty-Eight purchase...)-new48.jpg  
Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 PM
RAL
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SgtThump
My quick background story is that I started riding a few years back. I started off with a '95 Dynaglide Custom, then traded that up to the Road King Custom you see in my sig the next year.

I sold my Road King Custom a few months back when I started the divorce process, because a) I didn't know if I could afford it and b) I didn't want the added stress of dealing with the bike while finding and moving into an apartment.

My divorce was final last week and of course, I've been thinking REALLY hard about another bike. As many of you know, that divorce crap is the worst thing most people will ever experience. I figured I deserved something big that represents a new future. Thus, BIKE TIME!

I wanted something totally opposite of the Road King. I test rode a few bikes and the new Forty-Eight Sportster won out. I knew the second I hopped on it that it was a good bike for me.

So anyway... I was a little scared to do it, but I went ahead today and purchased a new 2011 Forty-Eight in black. I'll ride it home tomorrow while I'm waiting for the stage 1 parts to come in.

Attached is a picture in it's stock form with the "sold" sticker on the seat.

I'm having them install a Ness "Big Sucker" air cleaner, Cobra EFI management thing, and Vance and Hines "Blackout" 2-1 exhaust. I bet that **** is going to SCREAM. I also bet it's going to look kickass with that exhaust! The bike already looks low and long and that longer exhaust is bound to compliment that.

I couldn't get over how fun it was to ride. Alot quicker and "punchier" than the big cadillac Road King.

Anyway, someone give me a big congrats! LOL... Of course I'll post pics when the upgrades are done probably sometime next week. Until then, I'll have to ride it around in it's quiet stock form.

Oh yeah, I'll try to have someone paint the tank all black in the future with no decals or emblems. That would look great. I may add some heat wrap to the pipes too.

The "new" me is seriously looking forward to raising some hell on this thing.
Congrats on the 48!!!! Just one word of caution my friend, divorce is hard on the head. Be carefull on your new ride....your judgment may be a bit compromised for a while.

RAL

Old 10-04-2010, 08:16 PM
streetfighter06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good choice. BEST color option. Well, actually black isn't a color...it's the ABSENCE of color. Still the best. Sounds like you deserved it. ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RAL
Congrats on the 48!!!! Just one word of caution my friend, divorce is hard on the head. Be carefull on your new ride....your judgment may be a bit compromised for a while.

RAL
Someone speaks from experience.

I know exactly what you mean and I've already hit rock bottom. I'm coming up now, which still isn't great, but alot better than a few months ago. Wow...

Anyway, once I can take this Forty-Eight around the tightest corner I can find at 100 miles an hour, I'll feel much better. (just joking!)

Old 10-04-2010, 09:59 PM
deebee
Intermediate

I'm brand new here and I just got a 48 in june. So far, put 3,700 mi on and it's great! Its a fun ride for sure and it gets a lot of looks! You're bound to love it!

Old 10-04-2010, 10:33 PM
madchemist24
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

From your previous post "Test rode a few Sportsters today..."

Originally Posted by madchemist24
10-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Truth be told, I like the 48, but the Nightster won out for me .. really didnt like the front tire on the 48. It just seem a bit too chunky.

Other than that though, the thing looks like a beast. I have had mine now for a few months missing only 5 days of riding due to rain. I love the Nightster. I could probalbly use a little more room to lean, I'm starting to feel the bike out more and hear the scraping from the stand as I hang a left.

Either way, I don't think you can make a mistake with either one .. Congrats (in advance) for the new ride!!

Just wanted to say, I was the first to give you a "Big 'ol Congrats" buddy!!

Nice ride you got picked out there. Can't wait to see pics when she's done.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:39 PM
JPL17
Cruiser

Congrats bud. I have a softail and about three weeks ago I had to get one of those 48's. It is an awesome bike for tooling around town. I already put the stage 1 on but as we speak it is getting painted--all black with HD orange racing stripes up the middle of the rear fender (chopped), up the gas tank, the front fender and brace as well as the light. Good luck with yours--nothing more satisfying than getting on with life after the big D.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Thanks again guys! I'm pretty darn excited about it. I hate that I'm getting it this time of year, but I'll do my best to stay on it for as long as possible in the cold weather.

What do you guys think it would look like with that exhaust? Could be really badass. Sucks I can't see or hear one first, though!

Last edited by SgtThump; 10-04-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:59 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Picked the 48 up yesterday evening and rode for a few hours. Rode into work this morning too. Can't get the smile off my face! What a fantastic fun-as-hell bike! I'm totally digging going from a Road King to a smaller more nimble 48. Riding more aggressively too, just because you can on this thing. (not dangerous stuff)

Got a backpack and small novelty helmet as a big "**** YOU" too.

Can't wait to get the stage 1 done on this little beast. I'm very happy! Got my first "nice bike" at a stoplight an hour after getting it. That's always a good thing.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:37 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats. The 48 is the best looking new bike imo. Even stock they look great. have fun with it!!

Quick Reply: Well... I did it (new Forty-Eight purchase...)